Chapter Twenty-One

Elouise managed to doze off for a while, yet she woke up to Noemi tending to the drastic burn on her wrist, wrapping it with a piece of her apron. Noemi glanced up and smiled at her.

"I cleaned it with water first," she informed, reverting her attention to the knot she was creating. "Maybe, maybe it'll hurt less now."

They were currently hiding out in a small cabin. Abandoned, by the looks of it. It lacked furniture and anything else useful. Even so, it gave them a roof over their heads and a place to rest while the winds outside grew stronger. They'd been fortunate enough to stumble upon this little building after escaping the cave. It was a safe distance away from the village. The area had also been empty, giving them peace as they figured out what to do next.

That was the hope, anyway.

Noemi finished and gently set Elouise's hand down. Elouise examined the wrap and thanked her. Then, after a beat, Noemi raised her big eyes to meet Elouise's.

"Where are we gonna go now?" she asked, quietly.

Elouise frowned, glancing around their filthy surroundings. Was it wise to bring Noemi along? She'd proclaimed she was rescuing the girl. Considering where they were and how they had nothing to eat and hardly any water left, she felt she was doing quite the opposite right now.

But no, this had to be better than being abused—mentally, physically, and emotionally—by her own father. They could do this together.

"We must go south," Elouise firmly answered, nodding once. "That is where I will find the secret."

"What about, about your friends?"

Elouise swallowed. "I am hoping they are going there, too. Perhaps they know I will continue forward, and they will follow."

"We'll see them there?" Noemi's brows shot up. "I can't wait to meet them! Tell me more 'bout them!" At this, the weight on Elouise's shoulders eased slightly, and she smiled.

"Henry is a prince," she began. "He is the Prince of Occidentis Caelum."

"Where's that?" Noemi tilted her head a little.

"A faraway kingdom in the west. Caelum has always been Aristol's most trusted ally."

"Oh. So, if Henry's a prince, is he going to be a king one day?"

"No... He has an older brother who is... the King of Caelum." Unfortunately.

Noemi nodded and moved onto her next question. "Is Henry strong and handsome?"

Elouise giggled. "Absolutely."

"What 'bout Eldon?"

Slowly, Elouise's smile faltered. Before she could answer, a branch smacked against the roof, causing them both to jump. She reached up to where the brooch should've been pinned, and her frown turned to a small pout.

"Don't be scared," said Noemi, scooting closer to Elouise. "Everything will, will be alright." Elouise felt her lower lip tremble a bit, but she inhaled sharply, holding back temptation.

"I am merely relieved I have you here with me," she whispered to Noemi. "I am so sorry everything seems terrible at the moment. However, I promise you I will never let anyone hurt you again." The corners of Noemi's mouth rose.

She then said, "Tell me more... about everything!"

Elouise chuckled lightly. "I have a friend named Ivy and, truthfully, you remind me an awful lot of her." She turned her gaze to the window, focusing on the piece of cloth that was once a curtain. It kept blowing in and out of the building.