~ It's a Twister! ~

~ It's a Twister! ~

My instructor once told me you have got to have a great twist to get into Hollywood these days. Plot twists make your scripts extraordinary and exciting and turn heads before someone's chili, and bean nachos kick in. You've got to get people intrigued. Make them shit themselves. Well, he didn't exactly tell me like that, but you've got the picture.

To get a good plot twist, you must have the perfect plan. Think about those movies that have endings you never expected to happen, but the suspense kicked you in the head over and over, and you can't stop thinking of those epic endings.

There's no formula for any plot twist. Instead, look at this fun checklist I made!

The PLOT TWIST CheckLIST:

Focus on the MAIN IDEA of the story.

- What is your story about? What makes it better than anyone else'? How do your characters get to the climax and resolve their problems?

Make sure you're showing what's going on in your script.

- Make sure you are descriptive about your story in the description. Little to no description can lead the director in ways you didn't want to go. It can cause your cast confusion and make the story boring for your audience. Just as you keep your description copious, also keep it simple. Don't overdo your descriptions with long, repetitive, and unnecessary details.

End the scene with INTENSITY and SUSPENSE.

- Keep your audience interested in a bit of a curveball in every scene. Give your viewers something unexpected and exciting! Remember to keep it simple but thrilling.

Make sure you're moving the story forward.

- Don't give details to your scenes that bring your characters back to set one. Make sure you're keeping the story moving by providing additional information on current events.

Make sure your plot twist aligns with the plot points and fundamental idea.

- Just like in a great story, ensure your plots stay organized and don't go off track.

Keep your watchers interested.

- Have you ever watched a movie or a show where the ending is so dull you just shut it off mid-end? Can't you even finish it? Yeah, I know how you feel.

Make sure your scene endings never end in a conclusion.

- Make sure you're keeping your audience on their toes and wanting to know more about each scene without giving closure.

- You want to keep it simple and avoid giving your characters what they want until you reach the end of your script.

Give twists; nobody will suspect.

- If your audience expects your character to make one action that will shake up your scenes, give them something unexpected and exciting. Something that will make their spine shiver and provide them with a reason to keep watching!

What sequence of events is most important?
What scenes build the story? What makes the plot and climax?

Keep these things in mind when writing your scripts.