s i x

Veronica sat in the cafeteria and sighed in disappointment as she picked at her chicken caesar salad. She felt utterly depressed about the situation that occurred yesterday between her and Wyler.

"What's wrong, V?" Beth inquired as she noticed her friend's blatant gloomy behavior.

"I think Wyler's annoyed at me." She stabbed a piece of chicken with her fork before placing it inside her mouth and chewing vigorously.

"Why? Did you not show up for the study sessions?" Beth joked.

"No, I told him that I saw Cheryl with Archie the other day." Veronica sighed.

"You saw her with Archie?"

"Yeah." Veronica lied and averted her gaze to her plate to avoid looking into her eyes.

"That no-good bimbo!" Beth seethed. "Isn't it enough that she already has the hottest boy wrapped around her fingers?"

"Why does she have to go after my man, if she already has a boyfriend?" Beth continued to vent while an angry, crimson blush erupted on her usually pale features.

"But Beth... Archie never agreed to be your man... Aren't you guys just friends?" Ethel timidly asked.

"Shut up, Ethel!" Beth snapped. "It doesn't matter either way because we're destined to be together! He doesn't know it yet!"

"Sorry!" Ethel said with wide eyes and made a mental note to not bring the topic up of Archie's nonexistent relationship with Beth ever again.