Chapter Seven

Sakura sighed. "Why does that person ask us to meet him and then make us wait?! What about the feelings of a young girl who overslept and didn't have time to blow dry her hair!"

"Morning people," greeted Kakashi. "Today I got lost on the road of life."

"Ne, ne, Kakashi, come late again and those books are gone," said Naruto, fake smiling.

Kakashi gulped. "Mah, mah, Naru-chan, don't be too sadistic. Anko, Ibiki and Zabuza have been rubbing you up the wrong way.

Anyway, this is sudden, but I've nominated you guys for the chunin selection exam. Here are your applications. Whether to take the exam is up to each of you. Sign those papers and turn them in at room 301 by 4 pm tomorrow. That is all."

With that, Kakashi flickered away.

"Why is Kakashi lying? The chunin exam is a team commitment. All of have to sign up to be eligible for the test" thought Naruto. "Is it so Sakura can participate in the exam on her own free will and not for Sasuke's or my sake?"

Sakura was just about to walk off but Naruto ran up to her to stop her.

"Ne, ne, Sakura, you don't want to take the exam, do you?" said Naruto.

"Wh-wha? Naruto, what are you talking about? It's just that...yeah...you're right," admitted Sakura depressingly.

"It's fine, Sakura. But here's the thing: even though Sasuke doesn't speak or express his feelings much, I think he would appreciate it if he participated in the chunin exam with his teammates.

Don't you think so too? Don't do this for Sasuke, do it for yourself. You have a lot of potential to become a great kunoichi. Just have to let go of your fangirl tendencies."

Naruto flickered away and Sakura was left to think about his words.

The next day, Sakura decided to take part in the chunin exams along with Naruto and Sasuke. Naruto's words made her think. Maybe she really could be worth something.

The three of them were going together to room 301 when they sensed a genjutsu.

"There's a genjutsu to throw us off," warned Naruto.

"Yeah, it's to disguise the room number," added in Sakura.

"Un, whatever, let's go. This is to eliminate the weaklings," grunted Sasuke.

Team 7 quietly went up the stairs without making a commotion, until Naruto saw someone getting kicked in the stomach. He stopped.

"Hmmm...it's Gai's students and Izumo and Kotetsu," mused Naruto. "This will be fun."

"Naruto, let's go," hissed Sakura urgently.

"Let's stay for a moment. I'm sure that even Sasuke would want to watch."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Listen, this is our kindness. The chunin exam isn't easy...We've failed it three times. Those that take this exam and end up quitting as shinobis, those that die during the exam, we've seen it all.

Chunins often become captains of military teams. Failures and deaths...that's all the captain's responsibility. Yet, kids like you think you can pass? We're just thinning out those that will fail anyway. What's wrong with that?"

"I agree," said Sasuke coolly, "but you are pathetic."

Naruto eye-rolled. "No time for degrading people, let's go. Kotetsu, Izumo, you guys can't fool anyone."

The two supposed genins paled and said nothing.

Team 7 was about to walk away but they were stopped by the genin in the green spandex.