Chapter Twelve

"Orochimaru? Why would he be here at the chunin exams?"

Anko sighed. "He probably wants—"

"Sasuke, right?" cut off Hiruzen. "Well, let's continue the exam as planned and keep our eyes out for Orochimaru's actions."

"Yes..." said Anko hesitantly. "Anyway, we have confirmed that 7 teams have passed and for the first time in five years, we will have a preliminary before the third test."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Congratulations on passing the second test! Hokage-sama will now explain the third test. Listen carefully," announced Anko.

"Before the third test, I will like you to know the true reason for this exam," said Hiruzen. "This exam is a replacement for wars among allies. This exam reveals who has the courage to risk their lives for their country. That decides chunin. This is not just a test; it's a life-risking battle."

"I apologise Hokage-sama," said a shinobi. "As the referee, please allow me, Gekkou Hayate to explain the rules."

"By all means," said Hiruzen.

Hayate turned to the genins and started speaking.

"Before the first test, there is a preliminary to decide who gets to participate in the third test as there are too many people remaining. Those who are not feeling well and want to quit, please come forward now since we will be starting the preliminary immediately."

"Ummm...I'm going to quit..." said Kabuto sheepishly as he went to the front.

"Why, Kabuto-san?" asked Naruto.

"Sorry Naruto-kun, my body is all beat up and now we have to risk our lives...I'm not up for it." sighed Kabuto.

"Okay, Yakushi Kabuto from the leaf, you may leave," said Hayate.

Naruto eye-rolled and opened the mental link. "Watch out for Kabuto. I'm sure he's a spy for Orochimaru. Why would he quit the exams so willingly if he has been trying to be chunin for four years already? Something suspicious is going on."

"Okay!" thought Sakura while Sasuke grunted in response.

"There are no more who wish to quit, right?" asked Hayate.

As soon as he said that, Sasuke's body spasmed in pain. Sasuke growled, clutching his neck.

"Sa-Sasuke-kun! You should also quit this preliminary," cried Sakura anxiously.

"No, Sakura, let him participate," said Naruto.

"Wha? No, Naruto-kun! Sasuke is still hurt from the curse mark that Orochimaru gave him. Please quit Sasuke-kun, I'm afraid. You are in no condition to fight now. I'm not blind, you have been hiding the pain!"

"Sakura, Sasuke is an avenger and he won't forget that. He doesn't care if he becomes chunin or not, he just wants to know if he's strong through a battle. Anyway, Sasuke, don't worry. After the preliminary, I will try to seal the curse mark for you, not now though. There has to be preparation. After all, Orochimaru's seals will be hard for even me to unseal."

But, try your best to not use the Sharingan, Sasuke. That drains your chakra instantly. He wants you to rely on his power. You might lose your life if you do. If that happens, I will stop you."

Sasuke grunted in response.

"Okay...Naruto-kun..." said Sakura nervously, "but, Sasuke-kun, please be careful."

Hayate started talking again: "Now let's begin the preliminary. Treat your battles as real-life confrontations. We have twenty-one people so there will be ten matches and one extra. The winners advance to the third test.