Chapter Thirteen

Temari sighed as she threw TenTen off her fan but Lee leapt up and caught her skilfully.

Temari smirked. "Nice catch," she said while Lee fumed.

"Why would you treat her like this if she gave it her all to fight you?!"

"Shut up. She's pathetic" said Temari coldly. "Take the loser and get out of here."

Lee trembled in rage. "Leaf whirlwind!"

But Lee's leg collided against Temari's fan.

Gaara sighed. "Get up here, Temari. You've been declared the winner. Stop wasting time with that pathetic guardian guy."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The next match started. It was between Tsuchi Kin and Nara Shikamaru. Shikamaru sighed as he jumped down to the arena to battle. He had a huge disadvantage: Kin had already seen his jutsu and on top of that, he was fighting a woman but, he had to give it all he had.

"Shadow Imitation Jutsu!" shouted Shikamaru.

Kin laughed. "Pft, one-trick pony. As long as I watch your shadow, there's nothing to fear!"

Shikamaru chased Kin with his shadow but every time it was just centimetres away from her, she dodged it. After a minute or so, she decided to get serious.

Kin took out some senbons from her pocket and flung it onto the wall.

Shikamaru smirked. "Old trick, huh. Senbon with bells to trick me into dodging nothing by manipulating sound."

Kin just smirked. Shikamaru heard a clink and turned around. His eyes widened in surprise. String! Kin laughed and punched Shikamaru who fell back and landed on the floor.

"Now it's time to finish you."

She was about to move but she was immobilised: she got caught!

Shikamaru chuckled. "My shadow can be manipulated."

"Wha? No way! The strings shadow!" said Kin, realisation dawning on her.

Shikamaru smirked. "That's right."

Then he took out a shuriken from his holster. Kin's eyes widened in surprise as she did the same.

"Are you stupid? We both do the same thing. If you attack we both get..."

"I know that, but let's see the outcome."

Shikamaru threw his shuriken along with Kin, it flew past each other. Shikamaru dodged and Kin...SMACK!

Shikamaru smirked as he saw Kin bang her head against the wall behind her. "As a shinobi, we should use the surroundings to our advantage, shouldn't we?"

Team 10 cheered. Hayate announced the victor: "Winner, Nara Shikamaru! Now, the next match...Uzumaki Naruto VS Inuzuka Kiba!"

The two leapt down to the arena.

"Puh, easy! Akamaru, let's go. We can beat him with one punch!" boasted Kiba as Akamaru barked in agreement but Naruto ignored him and turned to Hayate.

"How's the cough?" he asked.

Hayate smiled. "Fine Naru, thanks to you."

Naruto smiled, and then he smirked. "So...how has it been going with...Yugao?"

Hayate flushed bright red. "Um, anyway...let the match begin!"

Kiba crouched down and sped through some hand seals. "Beast Mimicry: All-Fours Jutsu!"

Kiba charged at Naruto on all fours, smashing him to the wall. Kiba smirked and outwardly declared his victory while everyone who didn't know Naruto's true skill deadpanned: Naruto couldn't be that weak.