Slipping past

Yuki looked down at the bell key ring on one of her road racer handles, breathing in the soothing scent of the luscious leaves and the voice of the whistling wind. As if hearing the call of the wind, the bell started to tinkle, uniting in song.

"It seems like the wind has my backing today."

FLASHBACK

"Here you go," Katsu placed a silver bell into her hand.

It was intertwined with a silky, lilac ribbon, complete with a metal chain ring.

"This is for winning your first race," Katsu presented the gift proudly.

"So... this is all you give me for winning a huge race?" Yuki stared blankly at the gift in her hand.

"It's special," he reassured her, "Try shaking it."

Yuki shook it, but it didn't make any noise.

"How is that possible?" she asked, confused.

"Now, try holding it up to the wind this time."

Yuki held it by its metal chain ring, listening with curiosity.

As soon as a soft rustle of wind came about, miraculously, an enchanted, soft, tinkling sounded from the tiny bell.

Yuki's eyes widened in awe, "That's so cool!" she cried childishly in amazement, "Thank you so much, Niisan!"

"Pssh. I thought you hated it when you first saw it."

"That was because I was expecting something more... grand, that's all..."

"What are you talking about? I already got you a road racer earlier this month because you wanted to become a professional cyclist!" he folded his arms,  "Give it back then," Katsu held his open hand toward her.

"No, it's mine!" Yuki hugged the key ring tightly.

Katsu paused and folded his arms. Yuki glared at him.

He burst into laughter, "Sheesh. I'm only just teasing you!"

"Yeah yeah, whatever," she pouted.

Yuki held the key ring against her road racer handle. After retrieving some string, she wrapped it around the key chain and tied it so that it could be secure.

"When I get old enough to finally use this road racer, I'm sure this key ring will help me win lots of races!" she smiled brightly.

Katsu ruffled her hair, "I hope your bright personality never changes, Yuki."

END OF FLASHBACK

"It's time to go solo."

Yuki pushed off, placing her foot on the pedal confidently. Almost in a flash, she started off in a single burst of speed. Rapidly nearing Naruko and Kaburagi from behind on the right side, the small bell key ring started to tinkle at the wind pressure resulting from Yuki's speed.

As expected, both boys looked behind them toward their right, and in an instant, Yuki switched gears and swerved to their left out of their sight (ha ha it rhymes). Without stopping, she passed them on their left and Yuki vanished behind the corner of the turning road.

"That's weird, I could have sworn I heard something," Kaburagi inspected the scene behind him.

Naruko gulped, "I sure hope it isn't the ghost after our souls," he shivered.

"What?" Kaburagi was new to Naruko's ghost story.

"Anyway," Naruko tried to shake it off, "Coach owes me Pocari by the end of this race," he smiled.