Chapter 7

Third person pov

Shota quietly made his copies, soaking in Hiroki's mindless chatter like a sponge. The sound made him feel lighter somehow. Aizawa knew, logically, that his feelings were irrational. Hiroki had been dead ten years, only just now coming back. He had been one if Shota's teachers for God's sake! A teacher and a student had no business being in a relationship with one another, even if the pupil was suddenly around the same age as the mentor...

Aizawa didn't contribute much to the conversation, so it was more of Hiroki rambling and Aizawa grunting every so often in acknowledgement than anything else. That wasn't to say the dark-haired man didn't enjoy it. His heart was absolutely aflutter the entire time. He cursed himself for it. No matter how hard he tried to stamp out his arising passion, it simply wouldn't fizz away. He'd even tried to give himself a mental pep talk a few times to no avail. He wasn't some hormonal, affection-starved teenager anymore! He was an adult!

And yet here he was, watching Hiroki Akisuka, his old Criminology teacher, teeter on the balls of his feet while excitedly telling him about all the cats he was going to rescue. Shota felt the need to mention his cat, Inu, but refrained. Chatting is what friends did, and he and Hiroki weren't friends. They couldn't be. It would never work.

Yet... they were on a first name basis... 

"I'll see you at Lunch, Shota!" Mr. Akisuka exclaimed, snapping the man from his daze. Aizawa tensed when a hand landed on his shoulder. His coal eyes met silver blue, and his breath hitched at the look he received.

That serious face from earlier in the hallway had returned full force. It was deep with concern, a fond glow swimming around his pupil. Aizawa felt tingles shoot down his back, radiating from where Hiroki's firm hand was gripping his shoulder. He cleared his throat a little, managing to school is expression into something blanker. Though the tops of his ears did get rather warm, despite his desperate wishes.

"Don't think I just decided to drop our little conversation from earlier, Shota." Hiroki said, suddenly seeming so much taller, and far, far more intimidating. Shota shifted uncomfortably. He felt an awful lot like he was being scolded. "I'm worried about you. Don't think that's going to stop, or that I'm going to stand by and watch you wither away, alright?"

Aizawa swallowed heavily. "...Right." He mumbled out, dropping his gaze. He couldn't find it in himself to glare at his former teacher, or to even scowl. He just didn't have the heart to.

Hiroki's firm look was gone in a flash, replaced by his usual cheerful smile and airy glow. Giving Shota a few light pats on the shoulder, he chirped out a quick "good talk!" before happily bouncing away like nothing had ever happened. Aizawa watched him go with slightly warm cheeks and a small frown. It's not that his concern for Shota's health wasn't flattering— trust me, it was— but Shota really didn't want to be worried about. Especially not by someone so important.

Hiroki was happy to see he had Shota's Class 1-A next. All of them are seated readily when he came barreling into the room, nearly tripping and flinging himself out the window in the process. A few students snickered at this, but for the most part it's just a lot of confused looks a whispers. Hiroki wasn't surprised. He tended to have that sort of effect on people at first. He could only hope they'd adjust fast, for their own sake if not his own.

"Hello, everyone! I'm Hiroki Akisuka: your new Criminology teacher." He jumped right into it with a bright smile and clap of his hands. A few people seemed surprised by his readiness. "Some of you may remember me from before, when I scared off your homeroom teacher!"

"Yeah, what was that about, anyway?" Jiro asked in a drawl tone, twirling her pen between a few fingers.

"Yeah, he looked totally freaked." Hagakure seemed to agree. Hiroki could hear the frown in her voice. Hiroki was pleased to see that Shota's students cared.