Chapter 17 - Know Thy Enemy

I wake up to my alarm and sit up in my bed. I don't feel like getting out of bed, mainly because my stomach and leg hurt and also because I have this really awful feeling. I sigh but get out of bed anyway. I go to the bathroom and take a shower, change my dressing and brush. I change into a white sweater and black jeans. I put on my white sneakers and my bag before going downstairs. I make some coffee and toast. As I down a painkiller with coffee someone knocks on the door. I open the door to see Isobel. "Oh, it's you. Great, just how I need to start my morning." I say sarcastically and she just stares. "Isobel." I hear someone say from beside me and I turn to see John. "You knew she was coming.... You know what I don't care. Get out of here." I say directing the last part to Isobel. "She's actually here... " John starts explaining but I stop him. "I don't care. She isn't coming in. This isn't your decision, I'm not risking Jenna or Jeremy's life. From what I hear she already kidnapped Jer once. Great first impression by the way. If you want to talk to her or conspire with her, do it somewhere else. Not in our house." I tell John who sighs but nods and leaves to get Elena, I think. "I know what I did... " Isobel starts but I just glare at her. "I don't care." I say emphasizing every syllable. "I don't want explanations either. I don't care why you turned or why you're working for Katherine." I tell her. She just sighs and nods.

Soon enough Elena, Stefan and John come downstairs followed by Jer, who looks sad. After Isobel sits down on the swing on the porch, she starts talking about Klaus and how she's been helping all along and other things I didn't believe. I kept an eye on Jer who seems to be staring off into nothing. "Since I was last here, I've been doing everything possible to find Klaus. We knew our best chance was to find him before he could find you." Isobel explains. "Best chance at what?" Stefan asks. "Keeping Elena alive." John says. "You don't get to talk, okay, not after everything you've done." Elena exclaims. Why am I still here? "Were you able to find Klaus?" Stefan asks and I pay close attention to Isobel. "No. Nobody knows where he is but there are these rumors that are flying around. That a doppelganger exists." Isobel explains. That's impossible, she's lying; but why? "Which means any vampire that wants to get in favor with Klaus will be lining up to capture you." John explains. "I'm not buying any of this. The last time that you were here, you made it clear that you didn't give a damn about me. Now all of a sudden I'm supposed to believe that you want to help?" Elena asks. "Isobel's been helping all along. Klaus has been obsessed with finding Katherine for centuries. All it would take was any one of those 1864 tomb vampires to spread the word around that Katherine was still alive and it would bring him straight here to Mystic Falls, where you were bound to be discovered, so we killed them." John explains. Yeah right. You only killed them because you're too lovesick to realize you played right into what Katherine wanted.

I sigh and go back inside the house, I take my bag from the living room and turn around to see Jer standing right in front of me. "You okay? Jer?" I ask as he stares at me blankly. "Andrew confessed." Jer says and I get confused. "That's great, isn't it?" I ask him. "He's in the hospital. Elena... She got him compelled and beaten. He's going to jail soon." Jer explains and I finally understand what's wrong. Does Elena never think before she does something? "Jer... It's okay." I tell him. "It's not Elle. It's not okay. I just..... I don't like it, why don't I like it?" Jer asks. "Because... because you didn't do this on your own. Because you didn't win your own battle, because you feel like Andrew is going to be in jail because of compulsion and not because he deserves it." I tell him. "What do I do?" Jer asks. "I don't know. Just.... don't worry anymore okay? I'll see if there's anything we can do." I tell him and he nods. "Can I come with you?" Jer asks. "Sure. Let's go." I say and take his hand. We both leave not sparing anyone else another glance. We start walking towards Noah and Ares's house since there was no school today. Some founder's thing. I keep glancing at Jer not knowing what to say. "It's okay you know?" I tell him. Jer turns to look at me. "What is?" Jer asks. "If you feel angry at Elena or just in general, it's okay." I assure him. "I'm not angry.... I'm just, she didn't even know about it till a few days ago and suddenly she's making my decisions for me. She didn't even talk to me Elle. Nothing, she doesn't care so why did she make my decision?" Jer asks angrily. "Because she's too involved in the supernatural world and this is some sort of a compensation. Her way to make it right I guess." I tell him. "Yeah well, her way sucks." Jer says and I nod. "It does." I agree.