Chapter 18 - Last Dance

I wake up to my alarm and get out of bed. I can already feel that today is going to be awful. I take a shower, brush my teeth, change my dressing and change into black jeans and a white sweater before going downstairs. Unlike my initial belief, I don't find myself alone in the house. Aunt Jenna, John and Jer are in the kitchen eating toast, I think it's toast. I decide against joining them and instead leave to go The Grill before school. I get in my car and reach The Grill within five minutes. I order and pay for chocolate pancakes and a latte and find a seat. After eating, I drive to school. Upon entering I can feel fear creeping up and I don't understand what's happening. I try to ignore the feeling best as I can and continue with the day.

I see Natalie, Arya and Ezra near my locker. "Hey guys." I greet them and Arya looks relieved for some reason. "Hey Elle. I can call you that right?" Arya asks. "Yeah sure. You guys are joining from today?" I ask and they nod. "Felix and Adam are getting their schedules." Natalie says and I hum in response. "Are people here nice?" Ezra asks. He's gotten a bit less moodier these days and he talks more and nicely too. "I have no idea." I tell him. "You've studied here your whole life. How do you not know?" Ezra asks giving me an absurd look. "Uh, I don't talk to people that's how." I tell him. "Great." Natalie says. "What did you expect? I don't really like talking to people unnecessarily or even meet people unless it's unavoidable." I tell her. "Don't you have friends?" Natalie asks. "I do but we're on opposites ends today, I guess." I tell her and she nods. After Felix and Adam come, I explain the directions and tell them where the classes are. We separate since I don't have many classes with them.

Most of the day is boring other than the fact that there is an ever present bad feeling along with fear. Since it's sunny I decided to sit on a picnic bench during lunch. I take out the sketchbook that I always bring with me and start to draw something, not really having anything particular in mind. I'm done within a few minutes and I ended up drawing a rough sketch of the bronze dagger. I don't know how I feel about that. "Hey." I hear Ty's voice greet. "Hey." I say looking up at him. He smiles and I smile back. "I'm sorry about yesterday." Ty says and I look at him confused. "Why are you sorry?" I ask him. "I don't know, I felt like I should've said something. I don't trust them and I don't understand why Mason is all of sudden on their side.... " Ty says. "Ty, there are no sides." I tell him before he can finish his rant. "To them there are. Is everything going to be okay Ari?" Ty asks. "I don't know, but I hope it will be." I say and he nods. "Here, I got you something." Ty says. "Thanks." I say and take the burger he bought for me.

We finish lunch with mostly school talk, both of us avoiding the supernatural topics. "You... do you know?" Ty asks suddenly as we're walking towards history. "Know what?" I ask him. "About your mother... " Ty says before looking at me and I just give him a confused look. "She... Klaus compelled her, she delivered Katherine to him; made it known that he was here and the killed herself." Ty explains in a low voice. "Oh.." Is all I can manage to say. What should I say? I don't know how I feel about it. We reach the class and take our seats. "You okay?" Ty asks. "Yeah, I barely knew her." I say and he nods. He probably thinks I'm avoiding. "You going to the decade dance?" I ask him. "Probably. You?" He asks. "Probably not." I say and he gives me a look. "Come on you're going to let me suffer loneliness." Ty says dramatically. "Well you seem ready to make me suffer by asking me to come. Besides you won't be lonely, I'm sure you'll find someone to dance with and if nothing you'll get drunk with your team mates." I assure him and he sighs. "Fine." Ty agrees and I laugh a little as his whiny tone.

The others come in, we share this and English but that's it. "Hey. How has the day been?" I ask Arya as she sits on the desk next to me. "Fine I guess. It's not bad." Arya says and I smile. "Fine? It's awful. Do you know how many classes we share with your sister and that vampire?" Ezra asks sounding irritated abs ready to kill. "Sorry?" I say more in a questioning tone. "I hate it." Adam simply says. "I like it." Natalie says with a smile. "I have never seen anyone who likes school as much a she does." Felix says staring at Natalie. "Uh Ari?" Ty asks. "Oh sorry. This Arya, Natalie, Ezra, Felix and Adam. They're my friends. Guys this is Tyler, he's my best friend." I introduce them and they all smile as Ty does the same. It seems awkward though soon enough Ty's talking to Felix about the school team since Felix is interested and I can tell Adam is too. Natalie is talking to some girl that I don't know the name of and Ezra and Arya are talking too. "Hey Elle?" Ezra calls out and I turn to look at him. "Do you feel it?" He asks and I nod. "Yeah, since the moment I stepped in. You too?" I ask him and he nods so does Arya and so does Adam. "Great. Let's see what happens." I say mostly to myself.