Beginning

<Strike's POV>

It started with the normal routine; hunt for food, hide and fly to another island to avoid other dragons. I'm tired of this repetitive routine, but I have to use it, every day, forever.

I'm the only night fury. As far as I know anyway. I don't plan on finding any others, though. They would probably be horrible to me, like everyone else. One thing all dragons seem to hate most is being in love with someone of the same gender as yourself, I can never understand it. I have met a few that don't hate me because of it, but they end up hating me eventually, I'm horrible at keeping friends.

I sighed and glided to a massive island and landed in the forest on it, I found what looks like a large pit? crater? either way it was out of the way, and had a small pond in it. Guess I'm staying here for now.

<Toothless's POV>

I wandered through the forest on berk, I wasn't lost. Just wanted to go out on a walk by myself, I don't normally go out on walks, but I do anyway. Its more relaxing and has less of a risk of death from flying. Also I don't need hiccup to do it.

I was near the cove, a almost hallowed ground for me, and I saw something fly above me and into the cove. 

I carefully crept towards the edge of the cove and looked at the intruder. My jaw dropped when I saw them. A night fury. I jumped down and landed on the grass, they jumped back and growled at me.

<Strike's POV>

Another night fury? I gotta say I'm surprised, but that's not changing a thing. Everyone is a foe to me.

I growled at them, while preparing myself for a attack. "Woah, woah calm down, I'm not gonna hurt you" he took a step forward and took a step back "Liar! how do I know this is not a trick?" I snarled "I swear I'm not going to hurt you, please just trust me". Over the years I have built a wall around me, not trusting anyone, not letting anyone close to my shattered heart. But, something about him...makes me want to trust him.

I stopped growling "Fine, just don't come any closer" "ok..I'm staying right here, now, can we talk?" "yeah, just don't expect me to be nice".

"Who has hurt you?" he asked "what are you talking about?" "you have that look, and the way your acting, something has hurt you, and your scars" damn hes wise, and clever, but, I still won't tell him what he doesn't ask to know "yeah, I've been hurt, so what? it doesn't matter" he looked at me, surprised "it does matter" he paused before taking a few steps closer "please, talk to me" I laughed in response.

<Toothless's POV>

He...laughed?, I looked at him, confused "Your a funny one. I'll give ya that, a real joker" "I wasn't kidding, you can talk to me" "really?" he asked, I was starting to get through to him "well, why would you care?" "because I do" I really couldn't think of a way to explain it to him "lets just say...that, I'm not popular" "wh-" I didn't even get a chance to finish "I'd rather not..talk about it"

I nodded and smiled at him "ok, we should to the village near here".

<Strike's POV>

I looked at him "village, as in, a viking village? why should we? someone needs killin'?" "what? no! I live there" "really? I guess they really have changed...lets go, just don't expect anything of me" "I'll let you down.." I muttered "what?" "nothing" "ok?".

We walked in silence for a few minutes before he started to talk "So, what's your name?" he asked, looking over at me with his jade-coloured eyes "Its Strike...what is yours?" I asked, keeping my distance and avoiding eye-contact "It's Toothless" I held back a laugh "why are you called that?" I asked, while trying my best not to laugh in his face "When me and my friend met my teeth were retracted, and then he gave me the nickname. Also because, unlike you, I keep them retracted unless I need them" I jumped over a log.

"Why are you called Strike?" he asked "Well, I just thought it was a good name" he looked at me for a second "so what is your real name then?" "It is my real name" I lied he looked shocked "so..your parents weren't around when you hatched?" I shook my head, I don't need to tell him more. 

The rest of the trip went by without any other words.