The Hierophant

"I wasn't supposed to work today."

A familiar smile crossed the querent's face. "Is that why you are wearing red leather pants?"

It didn't escape me that his eyes were on the tight pants. "I was supposed to go out later."

The smile left his face. "With a guy?" he asked.

I shook my head. "Just with a few friends."

We hadn't had an appointment in a while. I had started making excuses―hoping that if I gave him space, he could move on with his life.

"So what was so urgent that you couldn't just go to another reader?" I asked.

We were standing far too close. It seemed so unfair that he always had the scent of summer―even in the middle of November.

"How..." I trailed off uncomfortably. "How has Ashley been?"

"I assume she's fine...we've been over for a while."

Why did my heart skip at that news? Why did his roguish smile feel better than the smell of jasmine incense?

"I'm sorry..."

I blinked. It seemed as if he was even closer. "Don't be," he said. "Some things just aren't meant to be."

Why did I want him so close?

"So...are you going to read my cards?"

I nodded. We went over the table―but even that didn't seem to be enough space. I tried reminding myself that he always went back to Ashley. He only backed off when he got spooked about his future.

That was why he urgently wanted to see me. He needed me to reassure him.

Nothing else.

"Sit down," I said softly. "I'll do the reading."

I felt my skin heat up as he watched me walk to my chair. I was almost positive that he was looking at my red leather pants. I sat down―hoping that I wasn't acting too self-conscious.

His beautiful eyes were too fixed on me as I shuffled the cards. His beautiful eyes remained fixed on me as he selected the cards. And his beautiful eyes didn't look away when the past card was revealed.

"The Queen of Swords." I cleared my throat. "You've had conflict between the mind and the heart. A lot of pain in your past...from relationships. You haven't quite healed from the way you were hurt in the past."

"I don't know if that is quite me."

It did sound more like me―I was starting to wonder if my own muddled emotions were wrecking the reading. But I knew him by now―the way that his tattooed arm twitched when he was hiding something.

"When did it end with Ashley?"

The querent doesn't look away. "A while back."

"What movie was it this time?" I joked weakly.

He sighed. "We just...we weren't meant to be."

Hoping for a distraction, I flipped the present card.

"The Hierophant..." I whispered.

He wasn't looking at the red robes―just at me. "What does it mean?"

I coughed. "There's a spiritual meaning..."

But he could read me as well as I could read him now. "What do you see?"

"Someone is interested in you romantically. They...want to make you happy. But they are also looking for a secure relationship. You...you might meet someone who wants the same thing as you. And..."

"And?

I stood up. "I'm sorry. I'm going to be late. I'll...I'll just refund you."

A desperate need to get away made me scramble up and try to leave. The querent jumped in front of me. He wasn't blocking me―I could easily get away. But I stopped and looked into his eyes.

"I don't think this is a good idea."

"Doesn't the card seem to indicate that it is?"

I shook my head. "We...sometimes we just see what we want to see! Maybe that's all I'm doing―seeing what I want to see. Maybe I'm a fraud just like you once said..."

The querent gently touched my bare arm. Despite my hazy beliefs in mysticism, his touch was the first time I had ever felt anything close to magic.

He was getting closer. Or maybe I was getting closer. We both seemed to be moving at the same time. I didn't have to be psychic to know that the kiss was coming―but nothing prepared me the sensation of his lips touching mine. I felt like I was the Fool―falling off the cliff.

But I loved the fall. The sweet taste of his mouth, his spectacular summery scent and the wonderful warmth of his body. I forgot about my concerns about him. I forgot about my fears for him.

I forgot about the future card.