June 1971

Flirting at Smile's concerts was as important to Roger as playing the drums. Brian teased him every now and then, saying they weren't rock stars yet, but Roger still acted like one. If he didn't leave with a girl at the end of the night, it was out of the ordinary. But he knew what he was doing. He'd make eye contact with the prettiest girls in the crowd, throwing them a wink and a smile, and barely had to turn on the charm once he started talking to them. This show was no exception.

It was a late June night, and Smile was playing for a packed uni bar. There were plenty of girls there, but Roger was making eyes at someone specific by the bar while he played. Through the whole set, though she was playing a bit hard to get, it seemed she was flirting back. She had y/h/c hair framing her face, and a bright smile the peeked through her red painted lips every now and then. It was enough to draw Roger to her unbreakably.

As they all finished up the last few notes to "Keep Yourself Alive," Roger was the first off the stage. Of course, he took his time to soak up the applause, and send one last smile to the girl at the bar, but his exit was still quicker than the rest of the band. The applause was still dwindling but he was eager to make his way through the crowd. Through the hazy, dim lighting, he caught the mystery girl in the same spot she'd been all night.

Roger took a moment to slow his pace and regain his confident persona. He sauntered over to the girl, who seemed more interested in her glass of champagne than anything else, and leaned beside her. "Enjoy the show?" he asked smoothly.

The girl looked over and Roger noted that her y/e/c eyes were properly captivating. "It was a great show, I must say," she grinned confidently.

"Have you been to our shows before?" Roger asked, sliding on his elbow across the bar to cut the distance between them in half. "I feel like I would've remembered you?" He smirked and barely hid his checking her out. The girl chuckled before taking a sip of her drink.

"Wow, I'm flattered. What am I, the hundredth girl you've used that line on?" she returned the playful smirk, and Roger's smile grew. Snarky girls always caught his attention. "So you're the drummer, yeah?" she asked before Roger could retort.

"That's me," he said confidently.

"So, do you have a name, or should I just call you the drummer?" she asked coyly, with a certain sparkle in her eye. There was a little spark between them that they were both well aware of.

"Why don't you just call me later?" Roger said like a reflex. It could be a hit or miss with his bold flirting, but she didn't seem fazed by it. No, she seemed more curious, but also like she knew something he didn't.

"Quite forward, aren't you?" she knowingly smirked.

Roger shrugged nonchalantly. "I know what I want. Right now," he leaned towards her, "I want you." The girl felt a spark in her stomach, and a certain pull towards him, despite knowing who he was.

Before she could respond, an excited voice came from beside them. "Hey Y/N/N, you made it!" They looked over to see Brian approaching them, a wide smile spread across his face. Roger was confused for a split second, until the mystery girl hugged Brian with an equally happy smile. "I see you met Rog, finally," Brian sighed when they broke the hug.

The girl, Y/N/N apparently, looked back to Roger with a slightly guilty smile. "I did," she drew her bottom lip between her teeth. Then it hit him.

Brian had mentioned a close friend of his that he'd known since he was a kid, Y/N something, who hadn't made it to one of their shows yet. She had a demanding job, from what Roger could recall, but Brian always wanted her to meet the band. His face drained of some color after realizing he was just hitting on Brian's best friend.

Roger cleared his throat to move past the tension. "Right, Y/N... I've heard a lot about you." Most of Roger's confidence abandoned him as his mind drifted back to the few times Brian asked him to not flirt with Y/N whenever they met eventually.

"Except what I look like, evidently," she teased.

"What?" Brian asked. He seemed to piece together what she meant based off the exchanged look between his two friends, but Y/N changed the subject before he could draw attention to it.

"Nothing, great show, Bri. I see why you were begging me to come to one all this time," she smiled. Roger's eyes wandered over the bar as Brian and Y/N continued their conversation.

"Right, not to support me as a friend, but purely for the music," Brian said sarcastically. "How was it hearing your lyrics performed on stage?" Roger's attention was caught at that. He turned his gaze to Y/N, and was greeted by an expression he didn't expect given the interaction they'd had; embarrassment.

"Not my lyrics, technically," she said with an attempt at a casual tone, but the blush on her cheeks negated it.

"They're your lyrics as much as they are mine," Brian defended. He looked over to Roger's confused expression. He turned to fill him in. "Y/N helped me write 'Doing Alright,' as well as many others." Y/N looked to the floor shyly. "She's a much better writer than I am, and has helped my song writing ability tremendously."

"You flatter me too much, May. I only write in my spare time and you've made me out to be a full-time songwriter," Y/N sighed. She had a breathy tone of warning that only deepened Roger's curiosity.

"You write songs?" he asked with a lilt in his voice. Y/N flashed him her captivating eyes again.

"Sometimes. I used to want to be a singer, but I've since outgrown that dream." Her response was lighthearted, but there seemed to be a little regret behind her eyes.

"Alright, come on. Tim wants to meet you too," Brian slung his arm over Y/N's shoulders and they started towards the stage. Roger, however, stayed put. He'd always thought Brian's songs were great, and while they were still Brian's, he wanted to talk to Y/N about her lyrical inspiration. A gorgeous girl he could talk music with? That was more than ideal.

But, Brian didn't want him to flirt with her. Since he mentioned his best friend was a girl, he told Roger to steer clear. He didn't want Roger Taylor, infamous womanizer, to sleep with his best friend and never call her again. It would only complicate things, and Roger understood that.

Across the bar, he caught a redhead smiling at him. If he was going to focus his attraction on someone else, might as well start now. 

_______________________

First part, yay! Thanks to anyone who's reading! Also, Bohemian Rhapsody got nominated for 5 Oscars??? Damn???