August 1975

Y/N did have a point; the farm was cute.

The first week at the Rockfield farm was a bit...rocky, to say the least. Roger still wasn't happy about recording in the middle of nowhere, which was causing arguments, which in turn was already starting to put everyone on edge. After years of working closely with Y/N, they didn't realize how much they needed her as a mediator at times. And Y/N, didn't realize how much she'd miss the lads. Of course she had a lovely time with Colin in Venice; he was sweet and romantic, how could she not? But she still found herself thinking about the loud and bold members of Queen she left behind for the week. She was a little more excited than she expected to head out to Rockfield.

Y/N could have waited until morning to head into the country, but after getting back from Venice in the evening, she decided she didn't want to settle in only to leave the next morning. So, as her cab dropped her off at the farm at two a.m., Y/N just hoped the door would be open.

She heaved her duffel bag over her shoulder and twisted the front door's handle. Luckily, it was indeed open. The house was quiet, and practically pitch black. She half expected to hear shouting about lyrics already, but they must've not had too much of each other yet.

Y/N tiptoed through the dark house, probably looking like an idiot with her cautious pace and arm swinging around to assure she didn't walk into any tables or walls. Unfortunately, it was a fruitless effort. Despite the moonlight offering some illumination through the windows, Y/N's arm accidentally connected with a bowl on the kitchen counter. The ceramic broke into a few pieces on the floor, effectively shattering her subtlety.

"Shit..." she muttered. Almost on cue, there was a bounding down the steps, and she had a feeling she knew who it was going to be. Only one of the band members was that loud.

A light from beside the stairs was flicked on, lighting up Roger at the bottom of them, and Y/N frozen in the kitchen.

"Bloody hell, Y/N," he sighed. Whatever panic he'd had initially quickly wore off.

"Sorry, I didn't want to wake anybody," Y/N muttered before picking up the broken pieces of bowl.

"I wasn't asleep." Y/N glanced over to see Roger, shirtless and sweaty, rubbing a hand over his face. "What are you doing anyway? You could've called first. Could've avoided sneaking in," Roger said, walking over to Y/N.

"Sort of came out tonight on a whim," she yawned. "Didn't really want to wait until morning." With a clatter, Y/N tossed the broken pieces into the bin, and inspected her hands for any cuts.

"On a whim? You're doing all sorts of things out of the ordinary for you lately..." Roger muttered. "How was your trip, by the way?" The question was casual enough, but Roger's tone was anything but. Y/N was taken aback for a moment at how bitter he sounded.

"It was fine. Lovely, in fact," she replied almost hesitantly given his tone.

"Colin pull out all the stops, did he? Seems like he'd be a thrill to go on holiday with." The bitter and dry tone remained as Roger walked past Y/N to put a glass he'd been holding in the sink.

Y/N spun around to face him. "What's gotten into you? I mean, this isn't unusual for you, but what is it this time?" she said and narrowed her eyes at him.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Roger replied flatly. He only glanced at her in the low light before brushing past her. Y/N caught his arm.

"Bullshit. Whenever I bring up Colin, you go silent. Well, normally. Now you're just being an ass," Y/N said bluntly. She wasn't in the mood to be much else.

"I just..." Roger's eyes scanned the room for a moment, "don't like the guy." Even in the close proximity, Y/N couldn't tell what was brewing behind his eyes.