4

I sighed, looking in the mirror. It was the night of the "big date" and I was not at all prepared.

Why didn't you just tell him you're gay? I scolded myself.  It's the 21st century, god dammit

I ran a hand through my hair going into the living room to wait for Richie. 

About ten minutes later, he came in and my heart fucking stopped. 

He was wearing a baby blue button-up and black jeans. His usually unruly black  hair was brushed back and looked softer than usual. His glasses magnified his gorgeous brown eyes, and for the first time I noticed how utterly beautiful he was.

I couldn't breathe. No, I literally couldn't breathe.

"Woah, hey, what the fuck is happening?" He asked , stepping forward to help me. 

I motioned for him to stop, grabbing my inhaler off the coffee table and taking a few puffs. After my breathing got back to normal, I was talking again. "I'm fine. Just happens sometimes."

"Jesus H. Christ, Eddie, don't scare me like that."

He flashed a pretty white smile, and I had to take another puff from my inhaler before stashing it in my pocket. "Ok, well, we better get going, we have to be at the restaurant by 8." I reminded him. 

"Someone's eager to go. I didn't think you even wanted to go on this date."

"I don't, I'm just doing you a favor. And you fucking owe me by the way."

"Whatever you say, Eds."

"Don't call me that."

------

We met Jane and Max at some restaurant with a complicated name and an even more complicated menu. The waiter led us to a rectangular table with two chairs on each side, and Jane and Max took one side, Richie and me taking the other.

I ended up sitting so that I faced Max, which was extremely uncomfortable for me. I didn't want to have to make eye contact with her all night. That's awkward as heck.

We chatted for a bit before the waiter came to take our orders. Jane leaned over to whisper something in Max's ear, and Max giggled, pressing a quick kiss on Jane's neck. Ok, now I was really confused.

Apparently I wasn't the only one, considering  a look of utter bewilderment adorned Richie's face. 

Jane turned to look at us. "So, how long have you two been together?" She asked, smiling broadly.

Richie and I shot each other looks, having a silent conversation. "We'll be right back, I just remembered that Eddie left his inhaler in the car."

He grabbed my arm and quickly pulled me away into the men's restroom.    

"What the fuck is going on?" he hissed "I don't know, I didn't even know these women until tonight! They're you're friends!"

"Oh my God, what are we gonna do?" Richie said, looking stressed beyond belief.

"Obviously, we have to tell them what's going on!" I said.

His eyes widened in terror. "What, and look like a bunch of hetero normative idiot assholes? I don't think so."

"Well, you are pretty hetero normative." I stated. 

He rolled his eyes. "Please, you thought the same thing I did."

"Yeah, because that's what you told me! Not to mention, you immediately assumed I was straight."

"Well, aren't you?" He huffed.