10

Richie's P.O.V. Trigger Warning

The first few weeks after the confrontation were made up of Eddie and I warming up to the whole 'secret relationship' thing. 

It was a little hard to get used to. I felt awkward whenever I would do something couple-y with him. 

But we stuck it out, and after a couple of weeks it just became natural to cuddle as we watched a show on Netflix, or to kiss Eddie goodbye as one of us headed out the door for class or work. Or to play with his hair as he sat at the table doing homework. 

Of course, the fact that we lived together prior to this turned the situation disgustingly domestic really fast.

The weeks passed and September turned to October which turned to  November as the leaves changed colors and the air got chillier.

Eddie and I were laying on his bed, his head resting on my chest as I scrolled through Instagram.

"Rich?" He piped up.

"Hmm?" I replied.

"What are your plans for Thanksgiving?" 

"Probably just hang out here. No way I'm going to my dad's place. Why?"

"Do you wanna come celebrate with my family? They're forcing me to come to dinner, acting like they didn't kick me out. I could say you're just a friend. They'd buy the fuck outta that."

"Are you sure? I don't wanna impose."

"Please come? I don't even wanna think about facing them alone."

"Tempting."

"Please? I'll do anything. I won't even complain about you kissing me after smoking anymore."

I pretended to mull it over. "Of course I'll come, Eds." I said, planting a kiss on the top of his head.

So on Thanksgiving we both dressed up in nice clothes and drove to Eddie's parents' house, a small two story building that looked just like every other house on the street, the only defining feature the basketball hoop in the driveway.

I was introduced to Eddie's parents, Frank and Sonia, and his little brother Danny, who was a real pain in the ass from what I could tell. The dinner was not going well.

Eddie picked at his food, moving it around on his plate as his mother berated him with questions. How was school? Was he eating enough? Was he sleeping enough? How much was he working?

"You know, Eddie, dear, a very nice girl just moved in next door. She's right around your age. I thought maybe you'd like to meet her." Mrs.Kapsbrak chirped.

Danny was trying very little to stifle his laughter. "Uh, no Mama, I don't think so."

Her smile fell. "Eddie. I hope you're not still on about that 'thing' you have going on."

"You mean the fact that I'm gay." He replied quickly. Everything was silent. Then his mother spoke again in a voice like poisoned honey. "Eat your food, dear. It'll get cold."

She didn't talk to him for the rest of the night.

While everyone was preoccupied, we sneaked up to Eddie's old bedroom, which his mother had apparently turned into her sewing room.

"Damn. She didn't waste a second getting rid of my stuff, did she?" He laughed. "Man. She spent all her life raising her son to be a hypochondriac just so he can turn out a disappointment."

He turned around, kissing me suddenly, starting out rough just to become progressively softer. Eddie looked up at me with those eyes I adored. "I think I'm in love with you." He whispered.

"Don't worry." I responded, pulling him closer. "I love you too."

And so we left the house, Eddie's parents seething and his brother smirking, but we were both grinning like idiots, and just as a final, silent 'fuck you' to his parents, Eddie insisted we make out in the car in the driveway.

And I was completely smitten.