Chapter 7: Prince Liam

Dear Gen,

     I'm so glad you were chosen, but I knew it would be you all along. I knew you were talented and gods- the best score they've ever received!? That's incredible Gen! I miss you so much and so does Mother and Father. Mother tries to hide how much she wishes you were here by keeping herself busy, but she's closed up her shop to help Father with the crops. She says without you there's no point in running in anymore. Don't feel guilty, I think she's even relieved she doesn't have to work anymore. Speaking of the crops, they're not doing too well. Thankfully, the first paycheck from your job is arriving in a couple of days according to Mayor Cren. He was ecstatic to hear of your success. I've been so bored without you. I've visited Celeste three times in the past two weeks and she misses you too by the way. I've been thinking of getting into tarot cards and Celeste promised to help me get started. I want to practice on you so you can check my accuracy with your powers. How's the propheting going? And the lessons? I want to come visit so bad and I'd love to come visit the palace. Is it just as beautiful as we imagined? What happened with Princess Cora? Does she really hate you? And what about Prince Liam, does he really not talk at all? I have so many questions Gen, please write me back soon. I miss you so much. 

      -Love Mira 

     PS: Mother says to remind you about the you know what.

Gen sighed upon devouring her sister's letter. She missed Mira so much it ached to think about her. And Mother and Father too. She tugged on her bracelet. If Mira were here she'd pour out all her thoughts and feelings and together they'd analyze everything that happened and come up with a game plan. But Mira wasn't here. 

She reread the last line. Mother was clearly still adamant about finding that map but Gen had no idea how she would go about even finding its location let alone actually retrieving it uncaught. It could be on complete lockdown, guarded heavily, and protected with powerful charms and spells that promise death upon entry for all she knew. Only one person had ever attempted to steal the map twenty years ago and he was arrested and then executed for treason against the kingdom. She shuddered just thinking of what King Alastair would do to her if she was caught.

It had been a day since she first met with the king. In the morning she ate breakfast with the royal family and tried not to stare the king in the eyes. She accidentally brushed arms with Prince Liam and when their eyes met, he glared at her. Then she had a "lesson" with Councilor Ulysses about proper etiquette. They spent the hour long time working on Gen's speaking skills. She had to memorize the proper way to respond to King Alastair and every royal she encountered which meant reading the ridiculously long brick of a book, How to be a Proper Lady: A Guide to Society. Ugh. He made her begin immediately. 

Thankfully, Cora rescued her from staring at the minuscule font for too long by inviting her on a walk (Gen wasn't aware it required an invitation, but she was too relieved to receive it to roll her eyes). They strolled the entire mile long perimeter of the garden along with Fiona and Astra whom showered them with more stories and tales. 

Lunch was just as awkward and tedious as breakfast. King Alastair talked the entire time. No one else but Councilor Ulysses spoke. Prince Liam had his food taken away, again. Gen was almost annoyed at him. He was privileged and unbelievably lucky to receive that much food to eat at every meal and all he had to do was say a single word to get it. People in her village would die for that much food for such an easy price. The same amount would last one family weeks. 

Lunch went on forever but apparently not long enough because afterwards Gen reported to King Alastair's council room where she'd been sitting for the past two hours, bored out of her mind, while King Alastair, Councilor Ulysses, and the other 9 councilors most of whom she didn't recognized, argued and discussed various topics regarding the kingdom. Everyone ignored her which she was okay with. She didn't want to make a fool of herself.