Chapter 9: Past and Present

Gen awoke to a blinding light. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. She blinked, her eyebrows knitting together as she surveyed the unfamiliar setting around her. She was in a bed similar to her own but even bigger, if that were possible. 

It hit her as she saw the green drapes and the painted self-portrait hanging above the desk- she was in Cora's room. Cora however, was nowhere to be found. Gen slipped out of bed and hissed as her bare feet touched the cold floor. Where was Cora?

Of course, immediately as the thought entered her head, the door swung open and Cora strolled into the room. Her eyes lit up, "Gen! You're up."

Gen felt light. She couldn't believe Cora was smiling at her. She couldn't believe everything was okay- that Cora was still friends with her. After what happened the evening before and with the confrontation on the Serapis, Gen thought it was farewell to their friendship. 

She could remember the panic and fear she felt as she finally finished telling the others about the curse and her destiny. They had all stared at her, unreadable and silent. Fiona looked flabbergasted. It was suffocating to sit there as they contemplated her and anticipate the hatred and anger that were sure to come. 

Gen managed to choke out, "I'm sorry I lied to you all." She was close to tears. "I'm sorry about this... and everything..." Then she stood up and left the room. She couldn't handle the judgement of the room, of her once friends. 

Gen collapsed in the hallway and leaned against the wall. She tucked her head to her knees and cried silently. She couldn't escape the ship and swim away- it was unthinkable. She was at the mercy of Captain Fiona. Captain Fiona never gave mercy to the guilty. 

Cora was the first to find her. She slid down beside her and for a minute there was a silence. Then she spoke softly, "Genevieve." Gen didn't move, but she did listen. Cora sighed. "When I gave you that friendship necklace and told you we were best friends, I meant it."

"I know you did," whispered Gen. "You probably regret it now." She could feel the weight from her peach necklace on her neck. 

There was another minute of silence, "No," she said finally. "I don't."

Gen was surprised, but forced herself not to be hopeful, "What're you going to do?"

Cora curled a strand of her chestnut hair around her finger, and mused aloud, "It's going to take some time..."

Time?

"I'll have to flirt with the guards but I'm sure one of them will open up," she continued, still twirling her hair. "We'll have to come up with a plan of course- we can start tomorrow after dinner."

Wait- what?"

"Cora-" she started. 

"Oh!" Cora's eyes widened. "I think there's a book about the map in the library." 

Gen's heart was racing. "Cora," she repeated. "What are you talking about?"

Cora looked at her like she was crazy, "The map isn't going to steal itself, Gen."

Gen blinked. Her throat felt dry. "The map? You... You want to help me steal the map?"

Cora stared at her as if she was crazy. "Of course! I'm not going to let you do it alone!"

"But-" Gen was at a loss of words. "Aren't you going to arrest me!?"

Cora stared at her, then burst out laughing. "You.... You.. Oh Genevieve! As if!"

Gen was dumbfounded. "But didn't you listen at all? I'm CURSED. I'm destined to destroy the kingdom- your kingdom!" 

Cora was still laughing.