Chapter 13: The Ball

"You look fantastic," gushed Cora, pushing her towards the floor length mirror. Gen glanced at her reflection and was surprised. 

She took a little step forward and surveyed her appearance. She was wearing one of Cora's dresses which she claimed was made for her. It was a baby blue gown with tule straps that wrapped around her upper arms, leaving her shoulders bare. She wore the cobalt blue sash that Councilor Ulysses had given to her. It was silky against her skin, with a gold smooth sun pin that signified the royal family. She wore a pair of blue heeled sandals that she had insisted on since she wasn't every familiar or comfortable with the heels that Cora wanted. 

Her hair was down and in waves, two stands pinned back by another sun pin. She wore make up which Anna had done (Gen wouldn't be able to survive asking Elise) and even though it clashed with the dress, she wore the peach friendship necklace. "Not as fantastic as you," she murmured.

"Thank you," she said, twirling. 

It was true. Cora was dressed to perfection in a rose pink gown with an endless train. Her hair was pinned up into this complicated braided bun that Gen couldn't make heads or tails of and she was wearing the royal sun cuffs that every member of the royal family wore around their wrists during balls. On her styled hair was a golden crown, set off with little diamonds that embellished the crown as well as were woven in her hair. 

She looked like a princess. 

Anna strolled into the room, looking flustered. Cora said that balls always stressed everyone out which Gen saw when she visited Dell, Nina, and the other kitchen hands as they rushed around the kitchen, voices strained and muffled with the sound of pots clanging and carts bumping into counters. "Are you both ready?"

"Yes," said Cora, glancing at her for confirmation. 

"Good, we need to be in the ballroom in less than a minute," said Anna. 

"But it doesn't start for another hour!" exclaimed Gen, confused. 

Cora laughed, "Welcome to ball life!" 

-

Gen was panicking. Time had passed quickly- too quickly. Councilor Ulysses was hurrying her to the little room that hid in the alcove where the grand stair case- the stair case she'd be walking down in mere minutes- led off down into the ballroom. Her heart was racing and she felt faint. 

If she passed out, maybe she could skip it?

"Hurry hurry Lady Genevieve," hampered the councilor, sounding fretful. The one good thing about the ball so far was seeing his flushed and sweaty face as he checked the time for the twentieth time in the past minute. "You will be announced right after the royal family, followed by Lady Eva, the lady of the hour." The royal family was being announced now, and Gen could hear the faint cheers from the crowd (how many people were going to be watching her?) as the announcer presented them to the world. 

She knew families all over the kingdom, including Mira and her parents, would be watching from their portal screens at home. She could imagine Mira, eyes wide, anticipation for seeing her sister as the Royal Prophet. Oh gods. 

Lady Eva approached her, giving her a reassuring smile, "You're Genevieve, right?"

"Yes," she said, forcing comprehensible words to fall out of her mouth. "Nice to meet you... and Happy Birthday!" So awkward, gods. 

But her smile only grew, "Thank you!" She had a lovely smile that made Gen feel inexplicably proud and happy. Of what, she wasn't sure- for earning that smile maybe. Her radiant smile matched the rest of her too. She had sun kissed pale skin and blue, blue eyes. Her hair was golden blonde and curly, falling to just above her shoulders. A wreath of crimson Olumian lillies sat nestled on her head. She wore a red, flowing, strapless gown with a tulle skirt embellished with little diamonds. She glowed