Chapter 10: Warlock

"Lady Genevieve?" asked a voice. A friendly and familiar voice. Gen's eyes flickered open and she bolted up into a sitting position. Doctor Lona was leaning over her, her face a mixture of concern and confusion. "Have some water."

Gen took the cold glass eagerly and gulped it down. Her throat was dry and her lips chapped. Her clothes were slick to her skin with sweat.

Doctor Lona was waiting. "Do you remember what happened?"

Gen's mind wandered back to the shadow world and she shuddered, "Yes. I went back in time of that piece of wood, but... It didn't take me back into its history. There was this... being. I don't know what it, they, were." She wiped her puffy eyes.

"The warlock." Gen turned to see Councilor Ulysses, standing farther away in the infirmary, looking very uncomfortable.

"Warlock?" she asked weakly.

"The sinful creatures who practice damned magic," drawled Councilor Ulysses, looking disdainful. She didn't bother informing him that she knew what a warlock was.

Doctor Lona looked shocked, "Here?"

"Not here, he's currently near the border causing all sorts of mayhem," he said. "For now at least. We intend to apprehend and arrest him as soon as we can and then he'll face the appropriate charges for his crimes." Appropriate charges most likely being execution. 

"But how?" said Doctor Lona. "The amount of black magic that would take- it's impossible. The laws prohibit it. There are enchantments-"

"We're not sure of the details yet," he interrupted, scowling. "This was supposed to give some insight but apparently he's been guarding the memories."

Gen had heard of memory guarding but she was pretty sure what she experienced was not it. "He has control of shadows," she said instead. "Excellent level- even more advanced than that. It was like he breathed life into them." She shivered. There was still a ghost of their touch on her skin.

Councilor Ulysses looked intrigued, but the look passed quickly, "Good to know we got something useful out of this endeavor. Lady Genevieve, King Alastair was not happy with this unexpected turn of events. We can't have an incapable Prophet when such urgent matters are being considered."

Gen's throat felt scratchy as she replied, "Yes, I understand Councilor. It will not happen again." She prayed to the gods it wouldn't happen again. She thought she'd died... 

"Good," said Councilor Ulysses. He turned to Doctor Lona, "The warlock isn't of any worry to anyone. We'll make sure of it."

Doctor Lona frowned, "Yes of course. Now if you're done checking on Lady Genevieve, I would leave her be. She needs rest. I've never seen anything like this before."

Councilor Ulysses pursed his lips but thankfully, left.

Doctor Lona flashed her another concerned smile. "Take all the time you need honey, I'll be right outside."

-

Gen waited until after dinner to leave. A butler had brought her a sandwich with a note, 'Hope you feel better soon! -Dell' She wondered what version of the truth he had heard. She nibbled on the bread as she made her way up to Cora's room. She had the urge to tell her everything that happened- to pour all the terror out into the open and analyze it until it wasn't scary anymore. Like Mira would do with her. Maybe she could write to her and tell her.

She turned into the hallway with the royal bedrooms and tensed. Prince Liam was walking this way. He was never out wandering in the palace. He was always in his room or in the study, staying away from everyone else. She focused on a vase of flowers across the hallway. Pretty lilac Olumian lilies.