Chapter 11: Plans

Gen wasn't planning on snooping in the king's offices. But when she overheard King Alastair informing Councilor Ulysses that he was taking Prince Liam with him for the rest of the day to see the goings-on at the capital, Gen was piqued. She wasn't, however, even thinking of sneaking in until she noticed Councilor Ulysses was so distracted, that he had forgotten to lock the king's office. She followed them across the grounds and into the hallway where they continued. She waited as the two disappeared in the depths of the palace, then she took a deep breath.

Gods, was she really doing this?

Before she could chicken out and leave, she crept back to the door and eased it open slightly, cringing as it creaked. Her heart was racing even though she was alone. She half expected a guard to appear out of nowhere and arrest her even if opening a door wasn't a criminal offense. 

Breathe.

Inside was the smaller courtyard that surrounded his main offices and isolated it from the rest of the palace. Tall Gollisberry trees lined the edges with their wide heart-shaped leaves and amber bark. The ground was cobblestone and each step she took made a large thump. There were a dozen guards on duty, each one standing stiff and alert. Gods, why was she doing this? 

She clenched her fists and took another deep breath. Then she straightened her posture and pasted a confident look on her face. Look like you belong. She marched forward, keeping her sight level with the door in front of her. The closest guard sent her a curious look which she responded with a shaky smile, "Good morning!" Somehow her words came out smooth. 

She pulled open the door, her heart pumping, and skin sweating, and stepped inside. His main offices were different from the smaller office he had in the palace. That was solely for meetings with individual people. These rooms, however, were where he conducted his daily business of running the kingdom. 

Gen crept down the main hallway and scanned the closed doors, feeling slightly restless. She didn't even know exactly what she was looking for. Since Cora and she had begun coming up with a plan, they had visited the library numerous times to research the map. They hadn't come up with anything useful. 

However, Cora had somehow gotten a layout of the security measures and traps set up in the vault from the king's rooms when she was visiting her mother. It had been a miracle short of a disaster. Gen couldn't help but wonder what would have happened had she been caught with such a dangerous item. 

That had been a few days ago and they still hadn't had enough time to thoroughly examine and study it since Cora was getting increasingly busier with school, but from what Gen had seen- there was a lot they'd have to pass in order to get past the measures. 

All they had with them so far was the map of the vault, the security version of the map, and a detailed copy of the guards' schedules which Gen had nicked from Councilor Ulysses's office which was much less intimidating than the one she currently stood in.

The whole office was a lot bigger than it appeared and she found herself in hallways she didn't recognize. She wandered a little farther before something caught her eye. She frowned, taking in the plaque on a nearby door. Royal Prophet.

She was instantly intrigued. She wasn't aware she had her own office but the more she pondered it, the more it made sense. Of course, she would- she's the advisor to the king. Before she could think about the potential consequences, she placed her hand on the handle and pulled. It swung open easily. 

She was greeted by darkness. Carefully, she fumbled for a light switch and pressed it, enveloping the room in light. She stepped in and gasped. 

Marble floors were firm beneath her feet. The walls were the pale gold that matched most of the palace. There were no common windows but a massive skylight hung above her, currently curtained off by a red velvet sheet. There were dozens of bookshelves filled with bound manuscripts lining the walls and in the middle of the room was a colossal, gorgeous mahogany desk. A plush chair was tucked behind it. Potted plants dotted the room, a majority of them drooping or dead from lack of exposure to light and water. Finally, but most satisfyingly, the room was twice the size of Councilor Ulysses' office.