Chapter 19: Elise

Gen was in the middle of drafting a letter to her parents and Mira when something rammed into her chair and she tumbled out and hit her shoulder roughly on the floor. She sat up, dazed to see Elise, sweeping the floor, completely oblivious. 

Gen scowled and didn't bother trying to hide the irritation in her voice, "Do you mind?"

Elise stiffened and fixed a glare at her, "Do I mind having to clean your room, yes but I still have to do it." She continued aggressively sweeping, muttering under her breath, "Ungrateful, nasty little b-" 

Gen's jaw dropped. "Excuse me!?" 

Elise didn't answer. Gen immediately stood up, "Excuse me," she repeated. 

"You have hearing issues now?" snapped Elise. 

Gen clenched her hands, and gritted her teeth, "What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing except having to deal with you every day," grumbled Elise. Gen was angry, and the slightest bit stung by her maid's words. Elise didn't seem to notice, "Gods, are you really this incompetent."

Ouch. Gen blinked, "I don't understand."

"Proving my point."

Gen bit her lip, "Why are you always so mean to me? Isn't that not allowed."

Elise froze, and turned to Gen, suddenly livid. "Why? Because I'm a lowly maid," she spat. "Because I'm beneath you, because you're so much better than me-"

Gen was shocked, "No, of course not but-"

"Conceited little brat!"

"That's not fair, I didn't say any of that," said Gen, crossing her arms. She was getting angrier and angrier. "In fact I've never done anything to you- I've been nothing but nice to you from the beginning, yet you still treat me like shit!"

"You haven't done anything to me!" exclaimed, Elise. She scoffed, "As if, you can't be serious."

"I don't know what you're talking about," said Gen. "I am serious- I've done NOTHING to you."

Elise growled at her, "Bullshit."

Gen gaped at her, "I don't understand, I literally have done nothing to you Elise, I have no idea what you're talking about."

She blinked, and confusion flashed over her face. "You don't remember?" she asked slowly. 

Gen stared at her, confused. "Remember what?"

Elise just gaped at her, "You've got to be kidding me."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," repeated Gen. "But if there's actually a reason as to why you've been such a jerk, then please enlighten me."

It might have been a little too harsh (Gen was still angry), because Elise snarled, "I shouldn't have expected anything less. Of course you don't remember, why would you? Little prophet." The latter words came out like an insult. 

Gen blinked but Elise just continued sweeping as if nothing had happened. What was she talking about? What had Gen supposedly done? Where did this deep hatred come from? These questions raced through her mind but Gen could already tell from the closed off expression on the girl's face, that they would remain unanswered for a while. 

-

"So where is it?" asked Fiona. The girls had arrived back for their monthly visit so both Fiona and Astra were present for the meeting taking place. 

"It's right here," said Cora, pulling out a metal pod and setting it on the round table. Liam and Cora had taken care of extracting the pod before Liam returned the wand to its rightful place. They were currently in the library for an hour before dinner started. Cora sat next to Gen and Astra was on her other side (one glance showed they were holding hands). Fiona was on Gen's other side and Liam next to her. Both Fiona and Astra looked disgruntled with bags under their eyes and their skin looking paler than usual. 

Prophet of the GodsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara