Chapter 18: The Map

"Hey Elise."

Elise didn't answer and continued sweeping the floor of her room. Gen rolled her eyes, she was getting sick of Elise ignoring her. She'd rather her yell or insult her and that was saying something. 

"Elise," she said it one last attempt to get her attention but the other girl ignored her, a frown painted on her face. "I don't understand you," said Gen, shaking her head. She was getting more and more annoyed and confused to Elise's standoffish behavior as more time passed. 

She still didn't get why her maid hated her and she couldn't ask since she ignored and avoided her at all costs. It was frustrating and just a little bit hurtful. Gen knew not everyone liked her but she didn't get what reason Elise had for her strong dislike. But she couldn't focus on that now. Not when it was the day of all days. 

King Alastair was set to leave for the Capital in less than thirty minutes and she had been dismissed from his offices earlier than normal which was a relief because she was sure King Alastair and Councilor Ulysses could hear her heart pounding and read the anticipation on her face. Gen was never really good at being subtle when she was guilty. Even if King Alastair didn't deserve one ounce of her guilt. 

Cora even found a way to subdue her governess. All it took was one mention of free tickets to the capital derby taking place today and tomorrow for Jeselda to take the days off and for Cora to be subjected to being watched by her maids by her father. Her maids who listened immediately when Cora told them to leave them all alone today and tell no one what was going on out of loyalty to the princess. 

However currently Gen was submitted to fervently pacing her room while Elise grumbled and swept until Cora came by to let her know it was time to steal the scanner. Every one of her sense was on high alert. Her heart was racing and her hands were clammy. Her mind was turning and she couldn't sit still. So she paced. 

When a knock finally arrived at the door, Gen gasped loudly. Elise flinched but she ignored it and ran to the door. She flung it open to see a very antsy Cora. "Ah, thank gods." 

Cora gave her a half smile, "You ready?"

"Hell yeah," said Gen before realizing Elise was probably listening and a quick glance confirmed it. "Very ready for our walk," she amended, coughing awkwardly. Cora bit her lip and raised an eyebrow but said nothing. 

"Let's go," said Gen, shoving the door closed behind them. 

-

It was surprisingly easy to steal the scanner. Gen was kind of unnerved by how easy it was. It shouldn't be that easy to steal something from the king, but she guessed it had something to do with having his children on your side. Cora had access to his offices so she was the one who snuck past the magical barrier (which recognized royal blood) and grabbed it while Gen stood guard. She was nervous and anxious. Any second a guard could walk by and see them but Liam was insistent that it took five minutes for the changing of the guards and that five minutes was enough. 

However, Cora popped her head around the corner and the expression on her face sent Gen's nerves skyrocketing. "What?" she whispered. 

"I can't find it," said Cora, eyes wide. 

"WHAT!" She slapped a hand over her own mouth after realizing her words came out much louder than anticipated. 

"I can't find it," repeated Cora fretfully. "It's not where it usually is."

Gen's heart was racing. "Okay, okay what do we do now? Shit." The changing of the guards had begun a couple minutes before and they were short on time. Like really, really short.