4. Remembering Materials

Here are some memory tools you can use to learn new information.

1. Recitation is better then rereading. Recitation is active, rereading is passive.

2. Use Acronyms- e.g. HOMES (Great Lakes) MIMAL (states).

3. Use Acrostics- e.g. Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally, My Very Excited Mother Just Served Us Nachos.

4. Use Rhymes- e.g. Leaves of three let them be, I before E except after C.

5. Use Imagery- draw a picture of the concept of term.

6. Use Flash Cards- write the term on one side, the definition on the other.

7. Use Visualization- Connect images with the terms of concepts. Have the images interact in a memorable scene.

There's it is! Seven tips on remembering learning material. Here is everything explained-

1. Speak what you just learned from your textbook out loud, WITHOUT looking at your textbook or notes. Rereading something over and over until your head hurts will not help you learn it.

2. Acronymns: Make a word out of the first letter of all the words you need to memorize.

3. Acrostics: Phrase or poem to cue you into the first letter of each word in a list that needs to be memorized in order.

4. Rhymes: Make up rhyming words or phrases to remember something.

5. Flash Cards: Write the term on one side and the definition or description on the other.

6. Imagery: Draw a picture of the concept or term being studied. E.g. the water cycle

7. Visualization: Connect images with the term/concepts you need to learn. Then have those images interact with each other in a scene that is vivid and memorable to you.

There you go! Try one of these the next time you need to remember something.