Chapter Two

My hands burned while gripping the steering wheel. Shifted down quickly to third and pulled the e-brake. Rogue drifted sideways elegantly between two poles. The lights and sirens were bouncing off the tall buildings that surrounded the back street. 

"I thought the cops here didn't try to catch you," I muttered to myself.

I dropped the e-brake back down, pushed the clutch and pulled back on the shifter to fourth, then fifth and revved right up to 7000 rpm in sixth and let her fly through traffic. Car horns blared around me, adding to the chaos of the cop chase behind me.

Rogue started to ring and Jake's name popped up on the screen.

"Hey, baby," I answered.

"Are those sirens?" He sounded more concerned then angry. Cute.

"Yeah, i'll lose them on this next corner though, no big. What's up?"

"I was just making sure you were going to make it home alright, its later than usual, but now I know why..."His voice trailed off, staying silent.

"Yeah, i'm sorry I didn't call. Cop's caught up to me right as I was leaving, I've been trying to dodge them for a bit now."

"Alright, i'll see you when you get back." The phone beeped and went dead.

I sighed. I know he's angry about me racing, but honestly it's a lot better than him fighting and it'll make us more money in the long run.

Another down shift, e-brake, drift and up shift around a long tight corner and the lights behind me faded. Back in sixth and Rogue's engine roared making me shiver in excitement. I glanced in the rear-view and the lights had disappeared all together, the sirens still a slight echo in the background. I pulled Rogue into a small back ally and cut the engine and lights, sitting patiently. While I waited for the cops to pass by, I fooled around on the GPS trying to figure out where I was. After being here for three years, everything still looks the exact same and I can never figure out how to get places without the GPS.

The lights and sirens came and went, I waited an extra few minutes before starting the car back up and backing out on the road to continue home.

The garage rolled up as I approached it, slipping inside and cutting the engine as fast as I could. Inside the garage was terrible for echos. Rogue sounded amazing on her own, but magnified inside the garage draws unwanted attention most of the time.

My boots scuffed the pavement while I walked towards the shitty building, and the shitty apartment. The money in my pocket felt like a rock and I smiled. Six grand to add to the piggy bank.

I was still in adrenaline mode and on cloud nine when I opened the door to the apartment. The room was dark except for a dim light in the back corner where the bed was. 

Jake shuffled on the bed and stood to come meet me by the front door. I flicked on the light and smiled as he approached me. 

"Netflix and chill by yourself?" I teased, wrapping my arms around his waist.

He laughed lightly and returned my hug. He leaned down and kissed the top of my head.

"I'm glad you're ok."

I scoffed and pushed away from him, heading towards the bed. "No big deal, like I said, it's nothing I couldn't handle."

I looked back at him and he sighed, "I know, but this place makes me more on edge. Too much bullshit can happen, I worry about you."

"Well maybe you should start coming to races with me, you wouldn't have to be held up at home like some worried girlfriend," I snickered, pulling my t-shirt off.