Chapter Eight

Jake took it upon himself to slide into the driver's seat. Despite my harsh protesting. I haven't driven Rogue in over two weeks and my body was twitching and shaking with withdrawals. My name calling and arguing was ignored as the driver's door slammed closed, echoing ten times louder within the storage container. I winced but made myself slink into the passenger's seat.

"Are you going to tell me what the hell is going on?" I snapped. 

"No."

"I'm a big girl, I can handle myself." 

"I know that."

"Then tell me."

"We have to traffic drugs!" He yelled before I could even finish what I was saying.

I blanked, staring ahead. My brain pieced together conversations from when Jake first confronted the Captain and what he was just saying to us. The crates of drugs and weapons Jake found. How we mysteriously ended up on a Mexican boat instead of a Canadian one? 

For fucks sake.

Rogue started up and the purr of her engine made my insides melt. I couldn't help the smile that crept up on my face, despite our situation. I placed a hand on the dash, soaking up the comforting vibrations she made.

"So what are we going to do?" I asked in a whisper, hoping Jake has been thinking of a plan since I've been out.

He sighed, keeping his left hand rested on top of the steering wheel. "We're going to do what they want."

I opened my mouth to protest but he shook his head, cutting me off.

"We have no idea what the vibe is in Mexico. But whatever it is i'm sure it's more serious than Diesel's bullshit."

I just nodded in agreement. "We're going to have to wing it."

The boat shook as it bounced against the concrete dock. The vibrations carried through the storage containers, making the metal sing. More metal shifted, making all sorts of sounds as crew members opened two massive doors ahead of us, revealing hot and super sunny weather. 

"Do you trust me?" Jake asked out of the blue.

"Of course," I replied instantly.

"Good." He revved the engine a few times before shifting into gear and taking off. He weaved perfectly between the containers, following a line to the doors. The crew members were slowly working on lowering a ramp down to the dock but Jake had other plans.

My stomach dropped into my ass instantly. My back was pressed hard against the seat and I could barley keep my head straight to see where we were going. 

Just as my vision cleared, Jake shifted again revving Rogue to the max and then we were flying.

***

I totally just blacked out.  I thought to myself as the world slowed and I felt my head popping with imaginary fireworks. I attempted opening my eyes but the blotchy sparkling lights made me light headed. I shut them and focused on my other senses instead. I reached my hand out slowly, feeling smooth leather beside my thigh and the cool metal panel on my right. The sound of an engine downshifting caught my attention and I relaxed almost reflexively.  

Rogue! I thought happily as she started to slow down and eventually stopped. I made another attempt at opening my eyes. This time there were no blotchy stars dancing around my vision so I quickly opened them the rest of the way and took in my surroundings. It was dark, but not pitch black. It reminded me of summer nights, never truly dark out. I snapped my head to the left to see Jake gripping his hair in his hands. His bicep veins tripling in size.

"Did you fly my fucking car off of a fucking cargo ship?" I tried to yell but I felt weak and sloppy still so it came out as a simple question.

Jake let go of his hair and put his head back on the headrest, blowing out a big breath. "Yeah, I did."

I mimicked him, putting my head on the headrest as well. Although my breathing was staggered so I took in another deep breath to prevent myself from having a panic attack.

"So what do we do now?" I asked into the open air, not really expecting an answer from him.

It took him a few heartbeat lengths to answer me. "I have no idea at this point. I've been driving for hours, trying to lose the crew, then doubling back around to really make sure I lost them." 

He took another couple of deep breaths before continuing. "I found this ally and it seems secure enough we can sleep for a bit and then figure out our lives once we replenish brain cells." 

I just nodded. 

We both leaned the seats back and stared at the roof. My head was spinning and spinning, I had to close my eyes before I passed out again. Mexico of all god damn places? I truly could not wrap my head around the past few years Jake and I have had. 

As long as we don't end up on an episode of Narcos, I  am ready to see what the hell happens here.