Chapter Three

My mind reeled at the thought of somebody spying on us. Ronan's gang came into mind but they would be more discrete in their stalking skills. We haven't even seen any sign of them for months. 

Jake and I raided the apartment for all of our stuff. Cash. Clothes. Guns. Everything. It all fit compactly into two suitcases like it has every time we had to make a quick get away.

I heard Jake's voice on the phone with one of his friends from the fight club.

"Twenty minutes out. Are you sure it's secure?" He questioned sternly.

I zipped the last suitcase and stuck it by the door to do one last sweep of the apartment. Everything was clear, like we weren't even here. 

"Good." I hear Jake has he hangs up the phone.

"Clear?" I asked with my hand on the door nob.

I nods his head and grabs the other suitcase. We bolt down the stairs and out the front door. We both pulled our hoods up over our heads avoiding any cameras that might be lingering behind. 

My keys rattled in the lock as I struggled to open it as fast as I could. Rogue was sitting pretty as usual, waiting for her next ride. We loaded up and hit the road. Jake drove, -and let's be clear that I let him drive- only because he knew where he was going. 

Even though it was still going to be dark out for another hour or so I hit the button on the dash to add tint to the windows. Especially while we were on our way to a safe place, we didn't need prying eyes figuring out who it was in the car. 

"Jesus, how far away does your friend live?" I growled after forty-five minutes of driving. My ass was sore and my back nerves pinched. Probably just from being on edge, but still an uncomfortable ride. 

"Twenty more minutes I promise." He reassured, patting my thigh.

My energy level was diminishing fast but I didn't dare pass out in the car. Being a passenger in our situation doesn't allow for the management of songs and snack distributing. It's more about navigation and being an extra pair of eyes.

I scanned the horizon while we raced down the freeway. Nothing concerning or out of the ordinary except for Japan's ideas of nice vehicles. All I could see for miles were little sports utility Honda's and Subaru's. Yawn.

Finally we turned off onto a side road and continued down several back roads before coming to a stop in front of an apartment looking building with ground level access to the lower suites.

"Stay here for a second," Jake said quietly before jogging up to one of the ground level doors.

I was too tired to contest the fact that he tried to make me stay in the car like some domesticated wife. That'll be a problem for another day. 

The car's window's seemed to tint darker as the sunrise peeked over the buildings into the back road we were parked on. I sighed and checked the time on the dash. 

6:45 am 

I yawned and watched as Jake retreated to the car. He went straight to the trunk and grabbed both our suitcases then came up to my side window and jerked his head towards the door he was just standing at.

I lazily got out, automatically checking all around me before proceeding forward. 

There was a man and a woman standing in the door way, peeking their head out, scanning the ally the same as I just did. They knew what was up, good.

"Hi," I managed a friendly smile, despite never meeting these people.

We all shuffled into their small house and I immediately regretted Jake's decision to come here. I am one hundred percent claustrophobic. Also not much of a people person.