Chapter Four

My calves burned as I pushed myself forward, not stopping for cars, people or anything. I thought I was in the clear making good distance until I felt an impact so intense it knocked the breath right out of me. The backside of me slammed into the ground and I laid there choking and gasping for air.

A gut wrenching familiar face leaned over and blocked my view of the sky.

"Remember me sweetheart?" The guy asked, laughing.

I started to panic, making it a thousand times harder to catch my breath. My head filled with flashback visions of the asshole body guard belonging to Ronan's gang, aiming a gun at me on the plane. He was always the shadow that followed me throughout my racing days for Ronan. He was also the one who had held me against the cage of the fight pits and made me watch when Jake was being beaten so severely he had to be hospitalized. His grimy disgusting laugh made me want to vomit. 

He reached down and grabbed my arms to haul me onto his shoulders, carrying me fireman style to a blacked out SUV parked on the side of the road. He tossed me through the door and I landed against the other door, smacking my head against the window.

"Well you made it pretty far. Consider me impressed." Ronan's deep throaty voice sounded from the front passenger seat.

He turned to meet my eyes and grinned with yellow teeth. "And I'm not talking about that pathetic excuse for an escape."

I growled and thought it was smart to lunge forward and try to wrap my arms around his neck. That had me pinned to the ground by my throat. 

"Alex, my dear," Ronan tisked, shaking his head back and forth.

I struggled under the jackass body guards foot, trying to pry his boot off of my neck.

"When did you become so feisty?" Ronan continued, ignoring my struggle to breathe.

"Where's Jake?" I gasped out.

"He's in the other car. He'll meet us there," he said grinning again. He turned to look forward to watch the road ahead. I saw him through the passenger side drop mirror, sliding his shades over his eyes and leaning back into the chair. 

I let a shutter engulf me. Three years of being free of this ass hat and we end up back in his shit because we saw a flash in our window. I'm feeling pretty pathetic right about now.

Jackass kept his boot on my neck, easing up on the pressure a bit. I stayed on the floor of the SUV between the front and back seats until we stopped driving. I could hear the tread of the tires echoing as we entered a big open building.

The brakes screeched to a stop and I was dragged out by my ankles, only to land on my back on the concrete again. I groaned when I felt several more bruises forming. 

"Get her on her feet," Ronan commanded. 

He casually climbed out of the SUV and limped with his cane to a chair set up in front of the vehicle. 

I was hauled to a standing position, then shoved forward. My shoulder blade screamed with pain as it took in a third impact to the same spot. I stumbled to a chair beside another empty one, across from Ronan. 

I sat and looked around, hoping escaping would be an option. The building was old and decaying, but still held solid concrete walls around us. Panels were handing off the roof along with different kinds of electrical cords.

Just as I was planning some sort of miracle, another identical SUV pulled in and stopped beside the other one. Jake was growling as he was pushed out onto the ground and then tackled by three different guys.