Chapter Six

It took fucking forever to find the Captains quarters. The cargo ship seemed to be a never ending maze that even a skilled sailor would lose himself every now and then. The walls were all a dull white and none had signs or information on anything as we toured around. I pulled the phone out of my pocket every few minutes to check for service but the 'emergency calls only' message stayed displayed on the lock screen. 

We rounded a corner that looked different from the others and heaved a huge sigh of relief. The only other door on the whole ship that had a sign on it which displayed 'Captain'.

"Took long enough," Jake muttered in annoyance as we came to stand in front of the door.

He knocked twice on the heavy metal door and we waited. Screeching and grinding of metal sounded before the door slowly swung open to reveal a smaller man clothed in a blue cotton shirt and navy dress pants. 

"Good evening, mr. and mrs...." he greeted, letting his voice trail out after he clearly remembered he had no idea who we were. 

Jake, nor I answered with a last name, even though we aren't married. We both just stood, using each other as support. 

"We need to speak to the Captain please," I said, nodding my head towards a man in a white button up shirt, standing at the upper controls, overlooking the rest of a small crew. 

"Come on in," the man said, shuffling sideways so we could walk through. 

The Captain side eyed us as we approached him. He sighed and checked his watch, looking one last time out at the water before turning to us.

"What can I do for you criminals?" He asked.

I rolled my eyes. "We aren't criminals."

The Captain raised his eyebrow in disagreement. "Your friend said you couldn't fly because of customs issues and warrants that you have," he said the last part with a pointed finger at me.

"Look, we just need to know where our friend said we needed to go," Jake interrupted, taking a step ahead of me.

The captain shrugged and looked back out at the water. "Canada."

I sighed in relief and a slight smile tugged at my lips. "Great, thank you."

"How long will it take to get there? We aren't ship experts..." I added, curious as to why he kept looking out the front windows. 

"Anywhere from ten to fifteen days, depending on the weather," the Captain answered, leaning over to a table to check a massive map of the Pacific Ocean laid out.

He lifted his hand and gestured for us to look at the map with him. His finger then landed on a plain blue part just off the shore of Japan.

"We are about here, it's only been three days and the water's a bit choppy in this area. But once we get here-" he pointed to another plain blue area closer to North America "-We should be able to pick up some speed and make up a couple day's worth of travel.

Jake nodded his head with knitted eyebrows. "Alright, thanks a lot."

Both men held out their hands and shook. I just smiled at the Captain, making no move to shake his hand. He gave us a curt nod and turned his back to us, facing the blue ocean once again.

We exited the Captain's room and attempted another maze run to find some food. My stomach growled loudly and I groaned. Jake laughed and poked my belly. I swatted it away and picked up speed when I started to smell meat cooking.

"I could die for a decent burger right about now," I mumbled, my nose leading me closer to the smell.

"Same," Jake laughed, trailing behind me.