Ch. 35 ➣ "Bail."

— Corie's POV —

"I'm missing school! Don't you think education is important?"

"You're so annoying," the office groaned and continued to ignore my antics.

I sighed, shaking the bars in front of me, "I've been here for overnight!"

"And you're staying here until your mom or somebody else comes up with the money to rat you out."

"You can't keep me in here!"

"Yes, I can. You're locked in there with no key and no way to escape," he started to get up from his seat, "at least be quiet while I get some fucking food."

Shit, he's right. I'm just speaking out of my ass right now because I haven't slept in so long. Fuck my life.

"Wait!" I called out, "bring me some.."

He sighed, making sure to give me a dirty look before rolling his eyes and calling in someone else to keep guard.

"Fuck!" I kicked the bars in front of me and paced around the empty, cold cell.

Was fighting against the law? People do it everyday, right? How unlucky do I have to be to get caught this one time?

I'm going to stick to my theory— this was obviously foul play. There was only one person who seemed to come into mind the past hours and the only one who really had it out for me. As soon as I get out of here, I'm gonna pick up my dad's old baseball bat and swing it against Carter's head.

The other office shifted through his keys and began unlocking my cell. My head jerked back in surprise while he signaled for me to come out.

"Someone bailed you out," he plainly said and walked back to his seat to return my items.

I took my phone from the counter and immediately turned it on.

"Woah."

10 missed calls and 10 voice mails from Shawn.

Oh and 1 text from my mom. Thanks, Mom.

I listened to all the messages he left me and all the texts he sent while heading out of the facility. There were so many to go through.

"Oh my god," I covered my mouth. He sounded like he was in a middle of a panic attack, meaning something bad was going on and he needed me to be there.

"Dammit!" I exclaimed loudly while I stood alone in the empty parking lot. Where the fuck was my mom?  She just bailed me out and then bailed on me?

"Need a ride?" A very familiar voice asked, causing me to freeze up. My stomach heaved and my throat felt swollen— as soon as I turned around a scowl appeared on my face.

"What are you doing here?"