#Snake

[#Snake]
We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretended to be.
–Patrick Rothfuss
*****

When I got to school I had tried to get into Brandon's locker using the combination but it was no use. I groaned shoving the book away and going to meet Rowan. When I saw her she looked sad. "What's wrong?" I asked her but she shook her head.
"Nothing did you find anything?" She asked changing the subject.
"No it wasn't his combination," I told her. She nodded and we said goodbye. When lunch rolled around I was making my way to the cafeteria when I saw Brandon, Trevor, and Sean walk into a classroom. I wasn't sure why but I followed after them. When I opened the door all three of them were sitting by the tank and Trevor was holding a mouse over it.
       I shook my head and said, "Brandon?" He looked up at me with his eyebrows raised.
     "Oh look who it is?" Trevor grinned and I rolled my eyes.
     "I'm talking to Brandon," I said ignoring him as Brandon's eyes never left me.
     "Oh, is he your boyfriend," he laughed looking me up and down.
    "Dude! Shut up!" Brandon said, "what do you want Aspen?" He asked.
     "The D," Sean commented laughing along with Trevor.
    "Yeah real mature," I muttered before looking back at Brandon, "I was wondering if we could work on our project at your house?"
     "No," he simply stated not even giving it a second thought.
    "Oh wait dude don't do that, because you heard what happened to her last boyfriend, right? He had to off himself because she's such a bitch," Trevor cut in laughing.
     "That's not true and you know it," I answered clenching my fists so tight I felt my fingernails bite into my skin.
     "Oh my god, I told you already. Just give me credit and you do it yourself. It's easy," Brandon cut in, his gaze on my hands.
    "Hey aspen you have a little blood on your face, right there," Trevor pointed at his chin, "Oh wait, it's just that time of the month."
    "That doesn't even make sense," I said turning and walking away from them. Trevor said something else before telling me to go cry to my dad.
    "Alright, chill out, man, chill out," Brandon told him. I stopped at the door and Trevor dropped the mouse in the snakes cage. Brandon suddenly stood up and grabbed the mouse. "You're such assholes," he told them holding the mouse in his hand.
    "You ruined it dude. You're such a girl," Trevor replied. Brandon looked away and at me. I looked away opening the door a little more when I saw Trevor's bag. I looked back seeing the guys turned away. I grabbed it and left the room, looking through the bag. That's when I found a scope that goes on a gun. I grabbed it and shoved it in my bag and left Trevor's on the floor by the door.
When I left school I found Rowan and called out to her. "Hey I found something in Trevor's bag, it a scope," I said pulling it out and showing her.
"That's weird," she commented handing it back to me.
"Do you think Trevor could be part of the zoo?" I asked
"It wouldn't surprise me," she shrugged.
"I'm going to Brandon's house later," I told her shoving the scope back in my bag. "Have you talked to Elisia?" I asked her and she nodded. "Oh and do you know where Brandon lives?" I ask.
"No sorry," she answered and we walked separate ways. I took out my phone and looked through Brandon's social media before I finally found his address on one of his photos.
I walked to his house and stopped at the end of his driveway and looked between the address and my phone. I sighed putting it back in my pocket. I walked up the driveway and knocked on his door. He answers the door completely shirtless and it was really hard not to stare. I had to focus though.
"What are you doing here?" He asked a smirk on his face.
"Hey study buddy," I said pushing through his arm and into his house.
"You don't quit do you?" He asked shutting the door.
"Nope," I said popping the p. He lead me through the house to his room and put his shirt on that was previously hanging on his shoulder. "Hey uh do you have something to drink?" I asked him walking further into the room.
"Yeah is water okay?" He asked and I nodded.
"Great, thanks," I said. Right after he left I scoured his room looking for anything that could possibly be incriminating. I was looking through his desk when I saw a picture tacked up.
"What are you doing?" He asked holding a glass of water in his hand.
"I was just looking," I told him staring at the photo. After a beat I grabbed the book from my bag. "This fell out of your backpack. It had newspaper clippings inside of it. Dunbar Rakes. Why do you have it?" I asked him.
"My mom sent it to me when he died," he shrugged, "I guess I went to camp with him when I was little." I felt as though he was hiding something, lying about it. He placed the water down and brought his hands to his face. His knuckles were red and bruised. I reached forward grabbing his hand.
"What happened?" I asked brushing my fingers over it. He retracted his hand away.
"It's not a big deal," he replied. I moved away from him and I remembered what Rowan told me about Dunbar standing up for him and Brandon didn't help him.
"Rowan told me about how you told her Dunbar stood up for you, But you didn't do the same for him, you just stood there laughing," I said turning toward him. I showed him the video Rowan sent me with him and Dunbar at the grotto. "Why?" I asked putting my phone away.
"Why does that surprise you?" He asked. Walking toward me until our noses were almost touching. "I'm a bad guy, Aspen, Right?" He said staring down at me. "Stay away from me," he said and I stepped back. I grabbed my bag and left his room and walked out the door. My breathing had picked up and to be quite honest I was terrified. When I got back home I collapsed on the couch and closed my eyes.
I honestly had no idea what I was doing anymore. I didn't know if Brandon really was a bad guy but I knew I should probably stay away from him. I wish I could convince myself of that but I knew I had to go back also.

—•—•—