10.

_____________________

10. Desiree

_______________________________

Bobo didn't waste her time the following morning and for that she was thankful. They were on their way to his school and he was currently telling her about his friend named, Mariah. She tried to act like she was listening as he talked in an animated voice.

"Okay, buddy. Grab your bags, we're at your school," she said as she parked outside the school.

"Bye, Dee. Miss you."

"Miss you, too. Be a good boy, I'll see you in few hours."

He nodded and opened the car. She watched him go in and waited an extra minute in case his teacher wanted to speak with her. After waiting, she drove home and went to the kitchen to clean the mess waiting for her. She noticed Lucas was still around as his car was sitting in the driveway. Desiree entered the kitchen and arranged the plates and spoons into the dishwasher. Lucas came in while she was cleaning the sink and the counter.

"I'm out."

"Alright," she said without sparing him a glance. "Do you want the leftover from last night for lunch? I could quickly pack it before you leave."

The leftover from two nights ago was missing when she'd checked the previous day, she figured he took it for lunch so it wasn't forward of her to offer. She wasn't exactly sure what he'd think.

"I wouldn't mind, thanks."

She smiled and got a plastic bowl while Lucas waited. She packed his lunch and added chin-chin for effort.

"Here, have a nice day." She handed him the bag and made sure her fingers didn't touch his.

"You too."

Desiree went back to cleaning as she heard his car drive out. At exactly ten o'clock, she heard the bell ring signaling that someone was at the gate. Her phone rang at the same time and Lucas told her the housekeeper was outside the gate. She pushed her glasses farther up her nose and went to the gate. The housekeeper was let in as the gate slid open.

"You're the new nanny."

"Yes, I am," she replied the women who looked to be in her sixties. She was holding a bucket that contained mop stick with several other cleaning materials. "Can I help you with those?"

She smiled and waved her off. "Oh, no. I've been carrying these for almost twenty years. Let's go in."

Desiree walked beside her and returned to the kitchen when they got into the house. The housekeeper followed her and sat on a stool.

"So what's your name?"

"Oh, I'm sorry for not introducing myself earlier. I'm Desiree but most people call me Dee."

Desiree had assumed she'd know her name since she was the one that called her after the job application. Then again, she'd probably called so many others.

"I'll call you Desiree and you can call me Letty. Don't call me Granny like my kids do, it makes me feel old."

"Letty it is then."

"So where are you from?"

"My dad is from Ogun State but my mum...Rivers."

"Oh, wow. That's great, I'm from Lagos but not this area. Do you know Badagry?"

"Of course, I do. I went there for an excursion as a kid."

"Really?"

"Yes. To check the slave port, it was part of our history lesson."

"That's wonderful. So you migrated to Lagos?"

"No, my mum did after she divorced her first husband. My dad used to be her pen friend and when he invited her to Lagos, she agreed and brought her two kids from the previous marriage along. They got married after few months but he died not long after I arrived."

"That's sad. How did she cope raising three kids on her own?"

"It wasn't easy, but she made it work. She went back to school and got her degree then worked as a nurse in a public hospital. She's retired now and touring the world."

"She deserves that. I hope you don't mind me asking these questions?"

"No, it's totally fine. I'm usually alone in this large house with no one to talk to so your presence is refreshing."

"The boss doesn't talk much."

She was dying to ask about Lucas. His scars, his absent wife, his attitude along with so many other things, but she didn't want to sound nosey and make a bad first impression. "He doesn't. How long have you been working for him?"

"Four years, I think and he's one of my favorite customers. When one of my sons fell ill last year, he footed the bills."

"That's so generous. How's your son now?"

"Hale and hearty. What made you become a nanny? I went through your résumé and I don't just see you working this job."

"I wanted something new."

Letty looked like she didn't believe a thing she just said but she nodded and stayed silent.

"There's chin-chin, should I serve you some before you start cleaning?"

"No, honey. I'm fine."

"Alright, then. I'm be heading to the market, I need to get some foodstuff."

"I'll still be here when you return."

"See you soon."

Desiree went to the guesthouse to freshen up. As she drove to the market, she prayed not to encounter someone that knew her. She looked stupid in her baggy clothes and glasses, it was an odd look and so unlike her. She returned back from the market without seeing old friends and walked into a gorgeous sight. Letty was dancing as she cleaned the house, the radio from the kitchen was playing loudly and she smiled as the tiny woman moved her waist.

Desiree arranged the fresh produce in the fridge and set out to bake red velvet, chocolate chip cookies. She blended some oats to add to the wheat flour before mixing the necessary ingredients. As the cookies baked in the oven, she waited in the kitchen and sang along to the radio while Letty was now upstairs cleaning the rooms. She came down after a while.

"Going next to the guest house."

Desiree smiled and said, "I can take care of that."

"No offense dear but you can't clean it like I do."

"Alright, then. Will you rest your feet before starting then?"

"That's not necessarily, I'll be back soon."

Desiree nodded and watched the oven as Letty went to the guest house. The oven thankfully wasn't malfunctioning this time around. The cookies baked perfectly and when it cooled, she arranged them into the cookie jar and packed some in a transparent plastic for Letty. She went to the living room and turned on the TV. She was on her second episode of Criminal Minds when Letty came back. Her gloves and apron came off and and she flopped on the sofa beside Desiree.

"I made cookies, do you want some?"

"Yes, please."

Desiree got them and poured some milk into a glass. She placed both on a tray and carried it to the living room.

Letty sat up and helped her with the tray. "Thanks. Is the grass mower coming in today?"

She shook her head. "I didn't know there was a grass mower."

"There is and he comes in on Wednesday."

"Lucas didn't tell me anything about that."

"He probably forgot or changed the day he comes in. What are you watching?"

"Criminal minds but you can change the channel."

Letty changed it to African Magic(Yoruba) and Desiree pretended to like what was showing. She fell asleep as she was watching it and woke up when her phone rang. Letty reduced the volume coming from the speakers as Desiree scrambled for the phone.

She cleared her throat before speaking. "Hey, Lucas."

"Hey, just calling to check in. Is everything okay?"

"Yes."

"Alright. Don't forget to get Bobo from school."

"I won't forget."

"Okay."

She ended the call and checked the time, it was almost time to get Bobo from school. He wasn't calling to check in, he was calling to remind her to go get him. She stood from the sofa and got the car key.

"I need to get Bobo from school."

"I need to leave too."

"You don't have to, I'll be right back and I'm sure Bobo would want to see you."

"Maybe some other time, I have other places to get to. Thanks for the cookies."

"You're welcome." She went close to Letty and gave her a hug.

"You know you're a sweet girl," she said and patted her cheeks. "I don't have an unmarried son but I could introduce you to someone from church. You're not in a relationship, are you?"

Church? Was she saying that because of the way she was dressed? However way it was, she didn't want to meet anyone. Yet. And she could always find a man on her own without help. "I'm not in a relationship but thanks for the offer, that won't be necessary."

"When you see him, you wouldn't be so quick to disregard my help."

"Not now though."

"Alright, I respect that."

Letty left the house with her cleaning materials and Desiree drove down to Bobo's school to get him.