15.

_____________________

15. Desiree

_______________________________

It rained all through Sunday and Desiree stayed indoor praying the rain let up. She'd called to tell Lucas she wasn't going to be back early and he'd told her to take her time. By the time she finally got there, it was late in the evening and she was surprised to find Bobo still up waiting for her. As she took off her wet shoes, he rushed over to hug her.

"Dee, you're back." He was grinning so hard.

"Oh, I see someone really missed me," Desiree said, wriggling her eyebrows to make him laugh harder. Bobo laughed and held his hands up so she could carry him. As they walked to the kitchen, he held one string of her locks. "Where's your dad?"

"He's in the study."

"Okay."

"I saved you some of my dinner," he said proudly.

"Wow, that's so kind. Thank you, darling."

"Did you see your friend?" Bobo asked as she placed him on the counter.

"I did. I got you something but you can't have it tonight."

Bobo bounced on his butt and she held him in place so he wouldn't fall. "What? Let me see."

"Hold on." Desiree got two chocolate bars from her pocket and handed them to the hyperactive child.

"Thank you. Can I give Mariah some?"

"Of course, you can. Let's get you into bed, why are you up anyway?"

"I was waiting for you."

"Your dad let you stay up for me?"

"I asked nicely."

"Hmm, okay. Come on, smart pants."

They went to his bedroom and she helped him get ready for bed. As she tucked him around his blanket, he asked her to read him a bedtime story. Desiree got a book but before she started, she asked about his visit to his grandparents.

Bobo told her about going out with his grandma and swimming with his grandpa. He told her there was no mangoes because his grandma said it wasn't in season yet. She told him not to worry too much about that. He was telling her about his dad's friends coming around when he fell asleep. Desiree tried to leave but Bobo opened his eyes.

"You have to say goodnight to Winky and Binky."

"Okay."

He passed her his yellow, monkey stuffed toy named Winky and she said goodnight and kissed the tail. He took it and passed her Blinky, the blue dinosaur, and she did the same to it. Bobo nodded in satisfaction and turned to his side. Desiree smiled as she walked out of the room, turning off the light on her way out.

She went to the kitchen and started preparing snacks for Bobo to take to school. The cookie jar was almost empty, it looked like Lucas enjoyed the red-velvet, chocolate chip cookies. He would obviously never admit to it, but Bobo told her he was always snacking on them.

After placing the cubed-shaped cut, flat dough in the oven, she went to the living room and changed the channel. She laughed as she watched an old episode of 'My Wife and Kids'. Lucas came into the living room and she said a barely audible 'hello'. She was still bitter about his comment, but she knew it was useless waiting for an apology that'd never come. Desiree stood and went to the kitchen to check on the snack. She sighed when she found the oven off, she turned it on and went to the living room.

"I think something is wrong with the oven."

Lucas looked away from the TV. "What's the problem?"

"When I leave the kitchen, it goes off but when I'm in the kitchen, it stays on. Is there some kind of motion detection system attached to it or something?

Lucas walked to the kitchen and the oven was off again.

"See, I turned it on before coming to get you."

"It's on now," he said as he turned it on.

"It just fucks with my mind." She covered her mouth. "I don't swear in front of Bobo, I swear."

Lucas smiled at her for the first time since knowing him and she saw two dimples flashed at each sides of his face. She was caught unaware by the transformation on his face, and she stood still as she took in the hidden beauty just showing as he smiled. Perhaps, Mr. Grumpy wasn't so grumpy after all.

"Wow, you really should smile more."

She regretted saying it out loud when his face went back to the usual cold, black expression. She should have just held her tongue and enjoyed the smile. Lucas walked out of the kitchen and Desiree stood beside the counter biting her lips. She decided to stay in the kitchen until she finished baking.

Bobo was running around the freshly mowed lawn and Desiree was trying to catch up with him. They were both laughing as she stopped to catch her breath.

"Run, Dee."

She shook her head. "Can't."

"Please."

God, help! "Okay," she said and straightened.

Bobo smiled and started running again, she ran after him and finally caught him. He giggled as he struggled in Desiree's arms.

"Let me go, let me go."

"No, mister. I'm going to eat your eyes."

Bobo covered his eyes and said, "Not my eyes."

"Your ears?"

"No."

"Give me something, the villain is hungry."

"What about my juice?"

"Okay. I have to speak to the villain before agreeing, but I'll let you go in the meantime."

Bobo jumped up and down as Desiree let him down. They both sat on the grass from exhaustion, they watched the sky, their hands over the eyes shielding them from the setting sun.

"Dee?" Bobo turned to look at her.

"Hmm?"

"Mariah said I can get a mommy if I asked you."

Was she Santa Clause? Desiree answered as best as she could, "You'll have to ask your dad about that?"

"But he doesn't do anything about it. Everyone has a mom but I don't and I want one."

Desiree stood from the grass and held her hand out to Bobo. They went to the kitchen to cool off and she got him a glass of chilled water.

"Can I trust you to keep a secret, Bobo?" she asked as they went to the living room.

"Yes."

"I don't have a daddy just like you don't have a mommy."

His eyes looked sad. "Do you want one?"

At the early stages of her life, she'd wanted another parent just like every kid growing up with a single parent did. But she didn't like to ask her mother because it made her sad. "No. The thing is I'm not sure, I guess I really don't know," she answered truthfully.

Bobo frowned like he found her answer unsatisfactory. She wanted to ask him where his mom was, she knew nothing about the situation. She couldn't tell if Lucas was a single dad with a dead wife, divorced wife or a baby mama. But she knew it wouldn't be right to get those answers from Bobo.

"Do you think I should ask dad again? He can find me one."

"I honestly don't know, Bobo."

Desiree tried to find something to distract him with and when she patted his back, she decided to ask about his hair that was now in straight cornrows. The first week she'd been at the house, he had slightly curved cornrows.

"Who changed your hair?"

"Grandma does whenever I go over."

"She did great. Your hair is beautiful."

"Thanks. Can we watch TV, Dee?"

"For two hours."

He smiled sheepishly. "Deal."

Desiree went with Bobo to the theater room and they argued over what to watch before finally deciding on an animated film. They slept off few minutes into the movie and Desiree woke up when she felt Lucas gently shake her. She rubbed her eyes with the back of her palm and when she tried to stand, she saw Bobo sleeping at her feet. Lucas lifted him from the couch and Desiree placed her feet on the floor.

"You guys were out cold," he said to Desiree as Bobo opened his eyes.

"We did some exercise in the afternoon. What's the time?"

"Seven."

"Oh, dinner! I need to make dinner."

"Easy, I already cooked."

"You cooked?"

"I did. Noodles."

"Dee?" Bobo stretched his arms out and Lucas passed him to her.

"You guys can go to the kitchen. I have to change."

Desiree watched Lucas go up the stairs and shrugged. She dished the noodles into three bowls and passed Bobo his. He said a quick prayer over his and started eating, he was fully awake now. Lucas later joined them in the kitchen and everyone enjoyed their noodles. He had tossed almost everything in the fridge into it, from poached eggs to prawns to different veggies.

"It was absolutely wonderful," Desiree said after the meal.

Lucas smiled briefly and said 'thanks'. He was smiling again and her heart was fluttering like a butterfly. She knew how off-putting it was being attracted to Lucas, he wasn't the typical, friendly, nice guy that'd be perfect for her. And on top of that, he looked like he had several personal issues he needed to sort through before getting involved with anyone. It was the way he walked around, like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Yet, she couldn't stop her heart or her body from reacting to his nearness, even when her brain screamed run, run, run.