23.

_____________________

23. Desiree

_______________________________

Desiree could barely walk or catch her breath as she slid down from the counter. Never in a million years had she seen this coming. Lucas had given her so many orgasm that she'd stopped counting after the first time. He helped her to the bedroom and tucked her into bed.

"Will you move in to the main house? I guess I like having you here."

Desiree smiled and caressed his neck as his face stayed bent towards hers. "I will, thanks."

"Sleep well," he said after kissing her.

Lucas walked out of the bedroom and shut the door. Desiree turned in bed and slept off. When she woke up suddenly and smelt smoke without actually seeing it, she knew something crazy was about to happen. She got up from the bed and checked the bedside drawer. She had left no keys there but she checked anyway. The bedroom looked normal so she relaxed and went to the bathroom.

She changed into her work clothes and went towards the door. When she pulled the knob, the door didn't bulge. She cursed and went back to sit on the bed in defeat. Desiree was confused as to why these weird things kept happening to her. The door she'd locked from inside wouldn't mysteriously open. There was no logical explanation for anything in this house. Keys went missing, oven went off whenever she left the kitchen, the air froze up occasionally and now the door wouldn't open despite the key being in.

It made her uncertain about so many things. If she called Lucas and told him this, he'd think she was an alarmist. It was bad enough that she'd held on to him in fear when it was thundering which made her look like a wimp. Then she told him about the smoke and he'd clowned her. He definitely wasn't going to believe the door got stuck mysteriously. And she wasn't prepared to tell him especially after the previous night. She'd keep it to herself and enjoy their budding friendship.

Desiree got back under the duvet and video called her mom. At least if she couldn't leave the room she'd find another way to make herself useful. They chatted about the local food in Tanzania before she ended the call. She heard a knock and shouted 'come in' and Lucas opened the door. She somehow knew someone else could open it without problems, it seemed like whatever was doing this was targeting only her.

Lucas walked towards the bed and sat on the edge. "We're going to church. While we are away, make yourself comfortable and don't cook. Sunday is my day to rule the kitchen."

Desiree smiled as she realized Lucas wasn't going to apologize for the previous night. That definitely meant he was cool with what happened. She got out of the bed and sat beside him.

"Lucas, I think I'd be more comfortable being in the guesthouse."

His face became blank and he said, "That's okay. I stepped out of line last night and I apologize. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, it just happened."

"Yea."

"Cool. Have a great day."

Desiree followed him to the door and held it open for several minutes after he left. She heard him honk as he left the house and sighed. She sat on the floor and leaned against the door. She liked Lucas but there was a feeling she had deep within her that made her feel uncomfortable. It just felt like there was something pulling them apart. It was as if the universe was warning her to stay away from him. There were those signs and omen and she didn't want to ignore them. It just didn't make sense that the last time they kissed she'd lost the keys and after last night, something locked her in the room.

Lucas was the common denominator in all of this. She was literally living in his house and it was the only place she felt that energy. At the same time, she felt like she was jumping into conclusion and making things up. It felt crazy that some part of her didn't really believe anything was out to stop her from being with Lucas. Desiree got up and hoped the door stayed open as she got her things. She walked out of the room after tidying the bed and went to the guesthouse. As she got in, she fell on the sofa and closed her eyes.

Bobo came to the guest house to invite Desiree for lunch and she went with him to the main house. Lucas had bought local rice on his way back from church and he served it with leaf on the plates. She watched as he fried plantain by the cooker.

Bobo was saying all sort of things that happened in church and she was trying hard to listen to him but she couldn't stop her mind from wandering. Lucas got done and placed the fried plantain in a bowl then passed it to her. They began eating after he said a short prayer.

"Don't you like it?" Lucas asked as he noticed her toying with her food.

"It's not the food. I lost my appetite."

"Are you okay, Dee?" Bobo asked.

"Yes."

"But you're not eating."

"I'm now. See?" She took a huge bite of the plantain and smiled with her mouth full. Desiree ate the rice and made a show of scrapping her plate so they could stop worrying about her.

Lucas went with Bobo upstairs when they were all done, and she waited behind to do the dishes. He came back downstairs and took her to the living room.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"No, you didn't."

"Why then are you wearing a long face?"

"I don't know. I just don't feel good."

"What can I do to help?"

"Stop worrying."

"Alright. Do you want to go back to the guesthouse?"

"I wouldn't mind."

Lucas took her hand again and walked with her to the guesthouse. Desiree closed the door as soon as they got there. She checked the peephole and saw Lucas shaking his head in confusion. What would he think of her coldness? She went to the bedroom later and saw Lucas with Bobo jumping into the pool. She stood by the window and watched as they laughed and played, she laughed also despite her mood.

She tried to convince herself that she was worrying for nothing, it was all coincidental. Keys did go missing and ovens acted out all the time, it couldn't have any deeper meaning. She wasn't the type to be cold or frown for hours so she smiled and got into bed. It wasn't fair to go cold on Lucas anyway, not when she'd allowed him do things to her. She felt hot just remembering last night, so she got her phone and texted him, 'Thanks for yesterday.'

She went back to the window and saw Lucas get out of the water to check his beeping phone. She saw him smile as he read her text, and she hid behind the curtain when he looked towards the guesthouse.

Desiree heard a knock at her door and when she went to look, Lucas was at the door. She smiled as he walked in.
"Let's start again. My morning wasn't great but I'm back to myself."

"I like that," he said and placed his hand on her waist.

Desiree stepped closer to him and she stood on her toes as his fingers went into her locks. Their mouths locked as they exchange heated kisses.

"Will you join us by the pool," Lucas asked when the kiss ended.

She nodded in excitement. "I'll get my phone."

They went to the pool and Bobo splashed water when she got closer.

"Stop that, mister."

Desiree sat in one of the lounge chairs and watched as Lucas dived into the pool. He was possibly showing off but she didn't mind. The fact that Lucas liked her, not just liked, kissed her repeatedly made her heart beat faster. He was just so cute. Like, totally adorable.

"Dee, come in." Bobo waved but she shook her head.

She swam when no one was around because she had no swim suit in her luggage. She still didn't want Lucas to fully see her. There was no point hiding her body though, he'd seen her wet on her first day and he'd tongued the most intimate part of her but she wanted to keep the pretense going. If he saw her fully naked or in one of her showy set of swimsuits, she'd be so tempted to throw all the baggy clothes out. She knew that would surely raise questions. She couldn't go from being a bag lady to a modern woman, it'd be too confusing and she wasn't ready to explain herself to Lucas.

He was cute and all but what if he took her explanation the wrong way? He could think she tricked him into hiring her. She wasn't ready for the drama especially as she was just getting used to the free, smiling side of Lucas.