41.

_____________________

41. Lucas

_______________________________

Lucas decided to go to his parents' house instead of waiting for Bobo to come home. He couldn't predict how his son was going to react to his nanny gone so he had to plan how to drop the bomb. He met Bobo playing with the family when he got there and he dropped a kiss on his head then hugged the rest of his family. Lucas went into the kitchen and got himself a cold can of malt.

His mother walked in and took a good look at him. "Is everything okay with you?"

"Yea, I'm fine."

"I feel like you're back to mourning. Your brother told me you were moving on but it looks like the opposite."

"I'm not mourning, stop worrying."

"Stop worrying? I've watched you stuck in a limbo for five years. You know I used to wake your dad at night sometimes because I was worried sick that you were going to hurt yourself. For five years I couldn't stop the excessive worrying and I relaxed a bit when I saw a change this past months."

"I'm sorry for getting you stressed."

"Who else would I be stressed over? You're my child, my first son for that matter and it's breaking my heart that you're slipping back to the dark times."

"I'm not, I promise."

"But you are. You walked in with a frown I haven't seen in months and came to the kitchen to be alone."

"I'm only having a bad day." Lucas rolled his eyes when his mom started crying. "Mom, please. I seriously can't deal with this now."

"You think I don't have a right to be concerned? Do you know how it feels to watch a child go through depression for five years? I'll never forgive you if you go back to those days."

Lucas walked out of the kitchen and went to his room. He ignored his mom as she called his name. He had told his brother he was moving on so he couldn't understand why she was pestering him when he clearly had no intentions of going back to his old self.

He heard a knock as he was about to take off his shirt and when he opened it, his dad thrust a piece of paper towards his chest.

"I'm sick and tired of you hurting my wife you dumb ass," it read.

"Dad, c'mon. What's wrong with everyone today?"

His dad patted his cheek lovingly then left. Lucas stood at the door and balled the paper into his fist. When he heard footsteps coming he quickly closed the door.

"Open the door, Lucy," he heard Biyi say.

Lucas opened the door. "Brother, don't call me that. I don't like it."

"Who cares? What's going on with you?" Biyi entered his room uninvited and sat on his bed.

"You won't believe what happened yesterday. I just found out my nanny is a bloody liar and I fired her for it."

"Wait, so this isn't about Kenny?"

"No."

"I need to tell mom that then, we thought it was about Kenny. What did the beautiful Dee that got my brother's dick hard do?"

"I'll punch you in the face if you come up with any more stupid stuff."

Biyi raised his hands in mock surrender. "I was just kidding, bro. Can't you take a joke?"

"She said there's a ghost in the house. She fell from the stairs last night and decided to blame a ghost, can you believe that?"

"No. What else did she say?"

"I mean, she talked about a missing key and jammed doors. She's just deluded and I told her to get checked in a mental facility."

"Is that all she said?"

"Yea. I wouldn't have fired her if it was an ancient ghost or something, but she's accusing Kenny of being a ghost and her delirious mind somehow thinks she's out to get her."

"Why? I mean even though she is a ghost which is highly impossible might I add. Why would she be targeted?"

Lucas rubbed his neck. "We've had some intimate moments."

"But nothing came out of it. You said it yourself that she doesn't fancy you."

"She actually does. We had sex yesterday." He should be saying this with a smile on his face because he was extremely happy that it happened but Desiree had to ruin it.

"Jesus, Lucas. She's your employee."

"I know."

"So she fell because a ghost pushed her and that happened because you had sex. Am I right?"

"She wasn't pushed, she said she lost her footing because she smelt smoke and felt something cold walk past her."

"How did she sum all this up?"

"Apparently, she thinks it only happens when we kiss or make love or do other things."

"What if she isn't lying?"

Lucas almost decked him. "You actually believe her. Are you dense?"

"It's possible is all I'm saying."

"Biyi, I know you were swayed by her innocent face but she lies unprovoked. I know that, trust me."

"You can't just rule out the possibility that maybe she's isn't lying. Kenny was extremely jealous by the way, she didn't even like me."

Lucas couldn't believe the words coming out of his brother's mouth. "I hope God forgives you for saying shit about a dead person."

"I'm only saying the truth."

"Fuck you and your truth."

"How are you going to tell Bobo? He's always talking about her. Although, I'm tired of hearing how amazing she is, I liked that your son seemed happier with her around."

"I don't know what to do about that."

"Did you have to fire her though?"

"She was going to quit anyway. She's one stubborn lady."

"I see why you fell in love with her. You've always liked strong women."

"I didn't fall in love with her. We had a connection, that's it," he dismissed.

"Lucas, I think it's time you stopped acting so tough. You're a mushy guy, embrace it. It literally took you five years to get over your wife and during that period you never slept with anyone."

"That's different." Was it, though? He was so confused. Desiree was wrong but he shouldn't have tried to fire her and maybe she wouldn't have quitted.

"I can literally hear your heart breaking right now. You're not even mad at Desiree, I think you're mad that you already miss her."

Biyi put things into perspective for him and he sighed. "She's just so special. It was easy to want to please her and I just couldn't help falling for her like the dumb ass that I am."

"I'll find a way to make it right, brother. If you think I'm going to let you lose the only woman that has managed to capture your heart since Kenny, think again."

"I just want her to stop telling lies, it's so unnecessary."

"We'll get to the bottom of this, Lucas. I need to go back and reassure your parents, you had them worried sick."

"Our parents," he corrected. "And I didn't mean to do that."

"Join us after thirty minutes, I need to diffuse the situation."

Lucas stopped at the kitchen after the stipulated time and saw his mom and dad holding hands. When they noticed him, his mom came to hug him.

"I'm so sorry for jumping into conclusions."

He hugged her tighter. "And I'm sorry for getting you worried."

Lucas went to hug his dad next and he laughed when he playfully tried to headlock him. They sat around the counter and Biyi came in and slapped his back.

"I told them you got your heart broken."

He hissed. "Of all the excuses in the world."

"Oh, baby it's not a thing of shame. In fact, we should rejoice," his mom said.

"For getting my heart broken?"

"For moving on enough to get your heart broken."

"Right. I'll leave you guys to it, need to join my kid in the living room."

Lucas went to the living room and Bobo came to sit on his laps.

"Are we going home today, dad?"

"Nope."

"How will Dee get the chocolate I saved for her?"

"You didn't have to do that. Desiree can get her own chocolates."

"But I want her to have some of mine. Do you want also?"

"Thanks, buddy but I'm good."

"Okay. Can we go home tomorrow?"

"What's the hurry? Don't you like staying with grandma?"

"I love grandma."

"She loves you too and she wants you to spend the week with her."

"Really?" his eyes shone like diamonds.

"Yea, you can go everywhere with her."

"And grandpa?"

"Yes, and grandpa."

"Dad, can I call Dee while I'm here?"

Lucas itched his beard. His son wouldn't just let up. He'd literally found a way to keep him out of the house so he wouldn't notice his nanny's absence and now he wanted to speak to her on the phone.

"Buddy, there are boundaries. You can talk to her when you get home but we have to allow her some privacy while she isn't here."

"I don't understand."

"Can you get me water from the kitchen?" Lucas asked to distract Bobo.

"Okay," he responded dutifully.

Lucas went to his room before Bobo got back. He texted his mom to keep him busy as he napped and she sent him a cute text about resting a broken heart. Lucas shook his head and smiled at the shit Biyi started.

Author's Note.

I posted a chapter today instead of two because I was busy but by next week or the next after, the whole book should be done.

I've to quickly add this, I'm so grateful to everyone reading this book. I started out with no readers at all and now I can count about ten loyal readers. I know it doesn't sound like much, but to me it means the world.

Thanks,

Tito.