VI

VI
Moving On?
~~~

The light tap of her combat boots is the only noise in the room, reverberating off the empty walls of the surrounding cells and the cold and unforgiving metal bars that block them off to the outside world. Human voices can't even be heard making the whole area extremely somber and uncomfortable.

As Raven passes, most of the holding cells are humanless. She's not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.

She stuffs her hands in the pockets of her jean jacket and consciously tries to maintain her confident posture.

Show no weakness. She tries to take preparatory breaths to calm herself, but she's cut short.

"What do you want?" His voice parsimoniously demands when she walks into his view, lacking the strict conviction he used to have.

"Get your sorry ass off the ground." She demands with confidence, although not without a little apprehension.

"No. I'm comfortable here." He is obstinate and doesn't seem to be up for negotiation.

"I wasn't asking."

The two have a bit of a staring match, but Ike yields rather quickly and gets up.

"Why are you here anyway? Shouldn't you be searching for your 'precious boyfriend'?"

"I wouldn't be here if I wasn't." She sizes him up, scanning him from his head to his feet, then back up to his eyes. "When's your trial anyway? You've been in here for almost three weeks."

"Father's lawyer doesn't want to help because he owes her money."

"Can they really do that?" She questions.

"I don't know. But she is."

"Good. Then you'll be going to jail either way. People without their own lawyers never have a chance."

Ike rolls his eyes, "You should be in here, you know. Not me."

"What are you talking about?" She plays dumb, knowing all too well about the cameras hidden in plain sight.

"You know what I'm talking about. Don't lie." He grips the bars tightly. If only he could get through the bars and out of this cage he'd make her tell the truth.

"You're delusional." She completely disregards him, giving him no legitimacy.

"No, I'm not. I shouldn't be in here!"

"You pulled a gun on me." She remains calm. "I know you would've done it too."

He groans, "So what? You're still standing here aren't you?"

She can't help but slope her lips into a tiny, triumphant grin masked by self-restraint.

"But who's the one locked in a cell?"

Ike rolls his eyes again, then scans her as she did him.

"You look different." He remarks, mainly focusing on her hair.