XIX

XIX
Hypocrite
~~~

Gar yawns while he clicks away at his keyboard, hardly focusing on anything.

"Gar, watch your six!"

"Ahh!" his in-game character gets his health halved with one stroke, "Damnit..."

"Gar, what he hell is wrong with you? Pay attention!" his friend yells over though his headphones.

"Sorry, Jake. I told you I just woke up."

"Maybe you shouldn't be playing this live for your stream then. Why not something easier to process? Or just edit the footage into a video?"

"I...haven't made a vid in so long..." he replies, thinking out loud.

"That should be more of a reason to make a video. Why haven't you?"

He shrugs and holds his head, "Dude, I have literally no idea. My brain isn't really working right now." he glances at his chat rolling past, catching a few of the comments, "And my chat seems to agree. Heh..." he laughs meekly.

"I'm not surprised. They all have some semblance of common sense, unlike you." Jake teases.

"I'm not gonna say anything because if I do then I'm gonna make a lot of people angry."

"Smart choi— Oh crap!" Jake's character dies right behind Gar's. "Welp," it sounds like he's dropped the controller on his desk in defeat, "Have fun, Gar. Please revive me at the checkpoint."

"I will if I even have enough MP. I'm like a thousand short."

"What? Seriously? You should have a lot of magic since you just picked up an elixir!"

"One of the monsters cursed me. The effects of items on me was slashed in half."

"Well, we're doomed then."

Gar glances at his chat again, "Oh, I didn't see who it was, but someone asked, 'Is it just me, or does Gar seem really off today?' I guess I'm not good at hiding it—ouch! Damn goblin!—am I?" he admits.

Jake snickers, "Never underestimate the chat. I was gonna ask too but I didn't want to make you uncomfortable."

"Yeah, you know that the chat likes to flip between being helpful and anything but." he says as his voice fades and his lips bend themselves into a subdued smile. 

"It's nothing, I just..." Just say it. You've started talking anyway. "I...I had a fight with Raven yesterday and I'm supposed to see her later today. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say to her..."

"That definitely sounds like something."

"Well, it's...ok it is something. I just feel really bad and it kept me up all night. I've never seen her get so mad."

"Seriously? If I were you, I'd be more focused on the fact that you have to see her again today. Why are you even going? Why not just avoid her for now?"

"Someone in the chat just asked me that too. I have a project in my English class and she's my partner. It's due Monday."