; nine

Z O E E

        Boing!

        Boing!

        Zoee leans back, looking over Peter's body as she is standing next to him, helping him put up the debate team picture on the bulletin board. A couple feet away from the pair is Eugene "Flash" Thompson, Midtown High's notorious bully. He laughs with two of his friends after he threw a basketball at Peter's head. "Sorry." Flash apologizes, trying to hide the smile of his face with his hand, failing miserably.

        "Mornin' Flash." Peter greets at him, nodding and giving him a fake smile to get rid of Flash as soon as possible. Zoee narrows her eyebrows at the bully, stepping away from the board to stop leaning to be able to look at him better.

        Flash and his posse walk over to them, Zoee crossing her arms and balling her fists. "Good morning Parker! Good morning Parker's little freak." He teases, smiling big as he is now making his way away from them. Zoee doesn't take her eyes off him, ignoring the burning at the back of her eyes and the pang of hurt she feels in her chest at the taunting name. She just narrows her eyes again, glaring at him as she tightens her hands. All of a sudden Flash lunges at Zoee after he pretended to walk again, wanting to see if she would flinch. She blinks and steps back quickly, Peter also taking action and stepping forward, moving his arm in front of her to protect her.

        Eugene and his group burst out into laughs once more, turning around again to leave. When they start walking, Zoee sticks out her foot in front of the blonde bully. He trips over her foot and stumbles, catching himself before he falls. His face is bright red as he stands straight again, embarrassed that all the students in the hallway saw him. Zoee quickly turns around to pretend it wasn't her but can't help herself, looking back at Flash. He is staring at her and when he catches her gaze, he sends her a threatening look and uses his fingers to point at his eyes then at hers, signaling her to watch her back.

        Zoee rolls her eyes before looking back at Peter who is watching her with amusement. He sticks out his hand and she hits it with hers, high fiving him. "Good job." He praises, closing the glass door to protect the bulletin board before pressing a quick kiss to her forehead. Zoee gives him a very faint smile, the right corner of her lips lifting up slightly. Peter gives her a full smile as they walk off, their bodies bumping into each other softly as they head to their locker.

        Peter and Zoee have come a long way ever since that day at Zoee's first hospital in-patient. It's been over two years, and now they're starting their senior year together. Zoee has opened up tremendously to Peter and his family, mostly to Peter though. She's able to give him faint smiles and expressions when they're together in contrast to the blank look she would always give him when they first met.

        The way Peter held her at the hospital made her realize that maybe he wasn't as bad as her thoughts made her believe. She was able to battle her mind and trust Peter, letting him in. It didn't happen overnight though, Peter had to prove himself countless times and eventually, she started to crack. She hasn't opened up to him completely or spoken yet but it's enough for both of them to be friends. Zoee finally has a calm mind and has no doubt that Peter won't leave her side anytime soon.