; twenty-three

P E T E R

        "Peter, honey?" Aunt May's voice flows up the stairs and into Peter's open bedroom door

        "Peter, honey?" Aunt May's voice flows up the stairs and into Peter's open bedroom door. "There's someone at the door for you!"

        The Parker boy sighs forcefully, not wanting to leave his bed covered in mementos Zoee left behind. In his hands is the photograph he took of her when he first saw her; sitting crisscrossed in the drama room surrounded by other students. Her long hair effortlessly flowed down past her shoulders and the sunlight from the window behind her made it seem like she was glowing. Peter is relieved that he was able to print out a physical copy that he can hold and feel.

        Peter reluctantly lifts himself up from the bed, glancing outside and seeing the large raindrops pelt against his glass window. He runs a hand through his semi-dry locks of hair before heading out of his room and down the stairs. Halfway down the steps, he can see familiar blonde hair through the glass front door. He doesn't pay much mind to it until he reaches the bottom of the stairs.

        Gwen Stacy is at the other side of the door, her hair tucked under a beanie and her face drained from its usual bright color. Peter freezes and leans against the side of the doorframe, sniffling and screwing his eyes shut. He did not want to confront her anytime soon, especially not after Zoee's funeral. 

        After a few moments, he finally collects himself and opens the door, meeting with the sound of pouring rain. Gwen and Peter stare at each other in uncomfortable silence on the porch before the Stacy girl breaks it. "Where have you been?" She asks with red-rimmed eyes.

        Peter opens his mouth to try and speak, but only a broken sound is able to come out. He turns away from her, feeling his eyes well up with warm tears. He already feels guilty enough with his best friend's death, seeing Gwen makes him drown even more.

        "My father died." The blonde chokes up as she says those words. "There was a funeral. They shot off rifles and they made speeches. Two of my teachers showed up, and Flash showed up. Everyone was there but you."

        Gwen starts to cry silently as Peter blurts out, "My best friend died." He says as if finally accepting the truth. "Zoee is dead..." He whispers the last part, closing his eyes and inhaling sharply through his nose. 

        He then opens his eyes and swallows thickly as he mentally picks out the right words. He needs to let her know what her father told him on the rooftop the night the Lizard was defeated. Instead, he says, "I can't do this. I can't do this. I'm sorry." 

        "What are you saying?" She carefully asks.

        "I can't see you anymore. I can't!" He finally says it and can feel a small weight of his chest being lifted. Gwen takes a few moments to allow his words to sink in, her face scrunching up despair. She then abruptly turns around, opening her umbrella and hurriedly going down to the sidewalk. 

        Midway down the steps, Gwen turns around, her eyes wide with tears. "He made you promise, didn't he? To stay away from me? So I'd be safe." Peter's silence answers her questions. She reaches the sidewalk and freezes once more, making the Parker boy believe that she is going to turn around to talk again. Instead, she walks away, her big umbrella protecting her from the rain.

        As Peter goes inside and closes the door, Aunt May watches him from afar. "What a pretty girl."

        "Yeah. That's what Uncle Ben said. Not as pretty as Zoee though." He admits with a sad chuckle. "I'm no good for her anyway. Couldn't save Zoee, so how am I supposed to be good for Gwen?"

        "Peter Parker." Aunt May scrunches up her face in confusion as she couldn't figure out how Peter could have saved Zoee. The gears start to turn in her head but she goes over to reach him and envelops him into a warm hug. "If there's one thing you are, it's good. Zoee loved you, and that makes you more than good considering that she didn't open up to just anyone. Anyone who has a problem with that can talk to me."

        Peter hugs her back tighter and tries his hardest to not break down into more tears. He is tired of the crying and mourning. 

        "I know things have been difficult lately. And I'm sorry about that." Uncle Ben's voice wafts from the phone and into Peter's ear. The Parker boy has been listening to his final voicemail every morning before going to school. His encouraging words get him through day by day along with the memory of Zoee's last words. It's okay, Peter. I forgive you.

        Peter likes to believe Zoee said those specific words to avoid him from feeling guilty for the rest of his life. She knew Peter better than anyone and that he would blame himself for things out of his control. 

        Things in school got better for Peter with time. Flash Thompson made an effort to talk to him and get to know him instead of teasing him and hurting him. Soon enough, they became friends and on this day, he tackles Peter with a giant bear hug that almost knocks the Parker boy off of his feet.

        As they greet each other, Peter can't help but glance at Gwen Stacy from across the hallway. She looks unbothered and calm as she sorts through her book in her locker. As soon as Flash walks away, the bell rings and the Stacy girl walks by him without sparing a glance. He watches her walk away, her blonde ponytail swishing from side to side as she moves.

        He leans against his locker to try and come up with any way to try and have Gwen talk to him as she is basically shunning him for something out of his control. A while passes by and Peter is still in his own little world when he realizes he's late for his English class. He races down the hallways until he reaches his assigned classroom, walking in slowly to avoid disrupting the teacher's lecture.

        "Mister Parker, tardy again." She says with an unimpressed look on her face. "Well, at least we can count on you."

        Peter walks by Gwen to reach his seat behind her. As per usual, she just stares ahead to avoid looking at him.         

        "Sorry, Miss Ritter." Peter apologizes, taking a seat. "It won't happen again, I promise."

        "Don't make promises you can't keep, Mr. Parker." Miss Ritter warns. 

        Peter smirks lightly to himself and takes this chance to lean forward towards Gwen. "Yeah, but those are the best kind." He whispers, loud enough for the blonde girl to hear. 

        No one can ever replace Zoee Atkins, especially not Gwen Stacy. But he has to work for at least a sliver of happiness he shared with the Atkins girl to be sane.

        He will always adore Zoee. Their hearts understood each other in silence. That was the beauty of their silent love.

EPILOGUE IS NEXT AHHHHHHH!!!