; eighteen

P E T E R

        Sitting next to Gwen Stacy out in the bleachers of the school field, looking out and watching the football practice

        Sitting next to Gwen Stacy out in the bleachers of the school field, looking out and watching the football practice. Gwen holds a clear, miniature bottle holding the spider that bit the Parker boy the day he went to the Oscorp tower. 

        "It's so beautiful," Gwen says, twisting and turning the clear container to admire the dead arachnid.

        "It's got a bite though." Peter quips with a slight smile as he turns to look at the blonde.

        "Who else knows about this?" Gwen asks. Peter's stomach dips at the question, his chest growing heavy with guilt. Gwen is the only one that knows he's the masked vigilante known as Spider-Man. He wishes Zoee was the first one to know since they're best friends and they share everything, no secrets kept between them. 

        This is one of the hugest secrets he's kept from the Atkins girl, the other being that he was falling in love with her. Those are the only two and they're eating him alive. But he promised himself that he is going to protect his best friend, no matter the cost, even if it meant losing her completely as a close friend.

        Peter realizes he's taken too long to respond to Gwen so he snaps out of his thoughts. "Just you." He whispers, forcing a small smile to keep the conversation between them friendly and flirty. 

        "Really?" Gwen gasps before smiling, a dimple indenting her right cheek as she does. 

        Peter nods shyly, looking down. "Hey you don't...you don't believe what the police are saying, do you?"

        "Of course not." The blonde whispers. "Does it scare you, what you can do?"

        "No," Peter genuinely smiles. "No."

        With these new spider-like powers that Peter has, he feels more free in a way. He also feels a weight on his shoulders though. If he has those powers and does nothing to protect the city he lives in, he will blame himself for not trying to stop the crimes happening. He now lives by the words his Uncle Ben told him; With great power, comes great responsibility.

        "What did the thing on the bridge look like?" Gwen asks.

        "Real big. Too big to be human."

        "You gotta lay low," Gwen warns. Peter shakes his head.

        "No, can't do that."

        "But you've got to. I mean, why?"

        "'Cause of last night," Peter explains, looking into her green eyes before looking back down to his lap. "Those people on the bridge, whatever is attacking them, would've killed them. So I gotta, I gotta go after it."

        "But that's not your job." Gwen Stacy pleads.

        "Maybe it is." Peter nods before quickly deciding to change the subject. "I really liked kissing you. You're an amazing kisser." He shyly smiles. He means what he says but he's actually smiling, imagining how Zoee would kiss, how her soft-looking lips would feel against his. He wishes it was her he kissed instead.