; eleven

Z O E E

        "Who did this to you, Zoee?" Laura Atkins smooths and tucks unruly strands of Zoee's brown locks behind her ears

        "Who did this to you, Zoee?" Laura Atkins smooths and tucks unruly strands of Zoee's brown locks behind her ears. Zoee is laying on the couch, her legs curled into her stomach and her head on her mother's lap. The youngest Atkins member shakes her head, closing her eyes and leaning into her mother's touch.

        "Zoee, this is ridiculous. If no one did this, then how did this happen?" Her mother keeps pressing. Zoee is getting slightly annoyed, her eyebrows pinching together as her eyes remain closed. 

        "We were skateboarding, uh, together!" Peter interjects. Zoee opens her eyes and looks over at his form. He's sitting down on a chair across from them, his body leaning forward while his elbows rest on his knees. He pushes his father's old glasses back up to his nose with his pointer finger.

        "Skateboarding?" Laura echoes. "You only have one skateboard, what—"

        Peter clears his throat and nods, speaking over her. "Yeah, we like to ride on it together sometimes. I steer and she's behind me holding onto me as tight as she can. Today I lost control, we lost balance and fell. She hit her head really hard, I'm sorry."

        Peter wasn't completely lying, they do ride together on his skateboard. Peter is in front, pushing and steering while Zoee is behind him, with her arms wrapped around his middle tightly. 

        Zoee glances up to see her mother's reaction, and her mom gives the Parker boy an unamused look. "How? I got a call during the middle of the day for her injury, and you guys were still in school by then. How were you skateboarding in school?"

        Peter's mouth open and close repeatedly, looking like a fish out of water. As he speaks, he stutters, trying to fix the obvious lie he just told.

        "Dinner is ready!" Aunt May calls out from the dining room, Peter perking up at the sound of the third meal of the day. 

        The Parker boy springs up from his seat, clapping his hands together. "Yes, dinner! Dinner is certainly ready and we should head to that, shall we?" Peter nods and smiles sheepishly, taking a long step to the side before hurrying out of the living room. Laura chuckles at his awkwardness before tapping at Zoee's shoulder to have her get up.

        Zoee lets out a small noise close to a mixture of a groan and a grunt before begrudgingly sitting up. She closes her eyes and sighs out from her nose at the now nuisance pain. She then opens her eyes at the feeling of her mother's eyes on her figure. She raises her eyes at the older Atkins member, her mother looking down at her with her hands on her hips.

       "Don't think you're getting away with this any time soon, I will find out who did this to you." She says sternly before following Peter's direction. Zoee looks up at the ceiling to stop her eyes from watering once more.