6 | # Y O L O

6 | # Y O L O

leila

" Y o u r   house is going to be so, so

" Y o u r   house is going to be so, so..." Evan's struggling to find the right word, but I already know what she's going to say.

"Green." I finish for her. She turns that color, letting her face cringe into a sour look as she nods.

Evan likes a lot of things, but green is not one of them. She says they remind her of peas, and she hates peas. So the thought of me decorating my entire place in a soft, mint color is basically inviting disgust from her.

She strolls ahead of me a few places in a last-ditch effort to get me to change my mind. "Yellow is your favorite color!" She pleads. "Why not go for something happier? Like that?"

I follow her finger to a set  of blaring sunshine yellow cushions with #yolo stitched into the front. "Yeah, like that's going to happen." I scoff.

"But green?" 

I get it, I do. She's my best friend so she'll be spending a lot of time over at my place. But she's not living with me anymore. So her words don't carry as much weight as she'd like them to. "I'll take these." I hand the cashier the cards I collected of all the items I need for my new place. Paint, iron railing, alarm system, couches, table, chairs ect. Thankfully, Home Depot is a one stop shop. 

The woman smiles and starts ringing me ringing me up, Evan paces nervously at my side. "This is ludicrous!" She's practically shouting. "Yellow is better, hell, I'd even be okay with orange."

"You're not going to be living there full time, you can get over it."

"$2,065.48." The lady pipes in. I bite my tongue at the total and shiver. Evan silences herself watching me stick my card into the reader. "Do you need us to deliver?"

"Yes, please." I sigh. "When's the earliest someone can come out?"

The lady's lip squirms across her face as she taps away at her computer. After a beat she turns and smiles, "This evening around 5."

"Jesus Christ." Evan spits. "Well isn't that lovely?"

"Can I just get the paints and the floor stainer for now?" I ask. "Everything else can be delivered later."

"Sure thing."

Evan lets out a deep breath as the woman hands me a notepad and pen. "I don't like this." She hums. "You need that alarm system."

"Relax." There's no way in hell she's going to relax, but saying it has become second nature to me at this point. "Don and his boys will be with us the whole time. It'll be fine."

"I just need you to wait up front for your items." The woman jerks her head towards the entrance as she reaches for the register's phone. Evan and I smile and wave to her before shooing ourselves out of the way.