1 5 | F O L L O W

1 5 | F O L L O W

joe

Leila, you should be just about done with her day by now

Leila, you should be just about done with her day by now. It's a little after two, and Evan should be heading back to meet Casey. Well, at least according to Casey's Facebook, that's the plan. They've got a stacked schedule doing some cake tasting and venue scouting.

Smart on their end, since wedding planning in New York is a nightmare.

That means you will be free to see me again. Would it be too forward to invite you over?

I layer myself up, preparing for the fresh snow and am reminded of your fear of this soft, white substance. 

You won't want to leave your place. Unless...unless I offer to give you a ride?

It's worth a shot.

I yank my phone out of my pocket and shoot you a text, it's not long before you respond with-

A rejection?

Wait, what's going on?

I re-read our messages feeling confusion sweep roughly across my face.

Joe
Hey, Lei. Was wondering if I 
could interest you in some dinner?
Bet you didn't know I could cook!
Pick you up at 4?
2: 32 pm

Leila
Oh, that's so tempting! But I can't.
2: 32 pm

No rhyme, no reason.

Just rejection.

Someone's gotten into your head and I have a pretty decent idea as to who. Evan. What, did you little guard dog not like the fact that I almost spent the night? Does she resent me for spending my whole Saturday with you?

What, is she jealous?

My phone chimes off again. I stop in my tracks.

Leila
Rain check?
How's you Valentine's Day lookin'?
2: 38 pm

Okay, I'm stumped. You can't do dinner but you want to do Valentine's Day? There's got to be a catch.

Ah, and there it is.

Leila
My friend, Peter, has a gig at the Radio Room
A bunch of us are going to support him!
Will you be my Valentine?
2: 40 pm

Hm...okay. I'll bite. It's a group thing. You want me to meet some of your friends, mainly Evan I'm betting. You need them to approve of me before you 'recklessly' agree to anything more.

You want some more distance.

Evan gave you hell, didn't she?

How foolish of our little lamb to invite a lion into her home. Where anything could happen.