Part 10: Distraction

After changing into some jeans and a pullover wool sweater, I threw on a scarf and my coat and met Fenrir out by the castle gates. We met infront of Sirius' garden. As I approached I noticed he had changed as well, he had his Army cap on and seemed to be equipped with his gun holsters on either side of his waist. Complete with guns inside them.

I approached him and paused, pointing towards the guns.

"Really Fenrir?" I blinked curiously.

"Hahahah, you never know when you'll need to defend yourself, Kelly." He chided with a chuckle.

"Besides, the more trouble I get into, the more fun it is!" He gave me a cheeky wink.

"I should've known.." I replied and smiled back.

Fenrir smirked and turned, facing towards the path that lead into town. He held out his elbow for me.

"Well m'lady, shall we?"

I smiled. Fenrir was always a bit rough around the edges, but he knew how to politely treat a woman, as well as how to protect her. He and I had once spent some time enjoying Cradle together; going to bakeries and eating many desserts, singing made up songs in the rain and jumping in puddles, and running about the town getting into trouble with the Red Army, who's ambush only haulted when Fenrir struck them with bullets that caused them to cluck like chickens, or laugh uncontrollably.

Fenrir and I were good friends, and he always made me feel comfortable and secure. There had been times I had been ambushed by the Red Army and he had been there not only to protect me, but to console my fears. He truly was a great friend.

"Ready!" I took his elbow lightly and we both strode off towards town. Any and all frustration I felt from this whole Sirius thing seemed to just fade away.

------------

Through the course of the day, I not only felt more and more at ease with every passing moment, but I was able to distract myself from all of the tireless questioning Seth and the other Black Army troops had been subjecting me to. Fenrir had broached the subject as soon as we sat down for our morning latte's.

"Alice, just so you know, I won't ask you a thing about the night of the party." I watched him sip his cup matter-of-factly.

"This is our day out. For you to relax and get everything off your mind, and for me to spend my last day away from the battlefield just enjoying your company, and all the sweets we can possibly eat." He grinned happily and rose his cup for a cheers, in which I happily clinked glasses with him and we both sipped to seal the toast.

"Fenrir, today is your last day off before you head to the frontlines?" I questioned curiously. In the past few weeks things seemed to get more intense around the castle, and I hadn't had much time with any of the Army soldiers to really ask what had been going on.

"Yes, I start commanding the west side tomorrow morning. We will be attempting to take the Red Bridge. Currently we have hold over the Central Quarter and the Civic Center, but it's been a constant struggle to keep from being overthrown. I am in charge of the sneak attack that's going to hopefully overtake the Red Bridge." He sipped his latte once again and took a bite from the chocolate muffin he had beside his cup.

"I see..so that's why everyone has been on edge.." I mused as I placed my head in my hand, leaning against it as we chatted.

"The thing is, Alice, that the Red Army has an extremely large abundance of Crystals to use in their warfare." He wiped his mouth with his napkin as he chewed.

"Which has been a huge hinderence for us. As their attacks come with alot of firepower."

"Is that why Sirius and Ray have been spending full days and nights strategizing in the war room?" I wondered, a slight amount of alarm rising in my tone of voice.

"Ofcourse. We have to use sneak attacks to render their barrage of magic attacks useless. Even if we can smuggle some of their firepower...we have the leg up, if you get what I mean." He smiled at me lightly.

Things were starting to make sense now. And by the sounds of it, I really did have the easy job, tending to chores around the castle while the real work was on the battlefield.
I wished there was something I could do to help.

"Fenrir, would it be possible for me to accompany you on the battlefield and use my protection magic to help the troops?" I sat my own cup down after taking a sip and gave him the most serious look I could muster.

"I know there is more I can do to help besides chores.. and if I can help any of our troops to keep them from getting hurt..it would make me so happy to see less and less come back injured." I was as sure as ever as I spoke.

Fenrir took a minute to reply. At first, his face was a look of surprise. But then it changed into one of his genuine smiles. He gave a soft sigh.

"Alice... I've known you some time.. and I know you mean well. But the battlefield is really heating up. We are going into Red Territory tomorrow. And I need you at the castle, safe, so that you can be there to help us tend to the wounded. I would forever be upset with myself if in such an important battle, I couldn't protect you for even just a second and you got hurt. Those Red Army guys...they don't play fair. At all."

His response was so heartfelt, I couldn't even begin to feel offended or disappointed. Fenrir was right. This battle for the Red Bridge was a major play into Red Territory. And their king, King Lancelot, was known not to play fair. If I was the one causing a commotion by being hurt or ambushed and being unable to hold my own..I could be a major factor in losing ground not only on the Red Bridge, but even the Central Quarter, if they pushed us back that far.

"I understand completely." I smiled and nodded to him and we continued our visit with some light chatting as we sipped our drinks.

Once we were finished, Fenrir placed some coins down on the table, and we headed out. He lead the way out of the coffee shop infront of me.

"So Kelly, where to next? Shall we check out that new bookstore? It just moved in beside the flower shop Sirius' family owns." He opened the door to the coffee shop and motioned for me to go first, allowing me to exit politely. I nodded as a thank-you as I stepped out.

"I would love that! I could use a new novel to read." I grinned as I turned back to look at him as he stepped out of the shop. But as soon as he did, Fenrir faced me, then his eyes went wide in shock. I saw his mouth open to speak, but suddenly my ears started ringing, and no sound came from his mouth.

All of a sudden I felt a sharp, stinging pain in my neck, and my vision blacked out for a few moments. When my vision came back, I was on the ground, and I watched as Fenrir was being held to the ground as well, his guns being removed from his waist and something sharp sticking out of his neck. It looked like a dart of some kind...

I could still hear no sound coming from the commotion, and something strong and sour smelling was suddenly placed around my nose and mouth and in immidiate shock, I couldn't help but breathe in. It smelled awful. Akin to what gasoline smelled like in my world.

That was the last thing that ran through my mind before my vision went dark again, and I passed out.