Chapter 31 - Rufus Returns

Alexia could not believe it. Her Father. Rufus Burke. The man she rarely got to see. He was standing directly in front of her. He looked much better than he did when she had visited him at Christmas. He no longer had any stubble on his tired face, his hair had been combed and cut, his skin had more colour and he was dressed in a set of fine, quality black robes.
"Father," said Alexia.
He smiled at her; his eyes beginning to tear up.
Alexia couldn't help but smile back. She ran across the room and into his embrace.
"Alexia," he said, and it was all he could bring himself to say.
"Let's go to the sitting room, we'll give Rufus and Alexia some space." Lucius Malfoy said to Draco and Narcissa who had just finished greeting him.
"Yes, come along Draco," Narcissa agreed, leading the way across to the far side of the room and opening a door with a swish of her wand.
Rufus looked up and acknowledged Lucius's guesture, then returned to hugging his dearest daughter.
They hugged in silence until eventually Rufus spoke, "I'm so deeply sorry, Alexia."
Alexia looked up at him and nodded. Tears escaped her eyes and Rufus wiped them away.
"I forgot how beautiful you are," Rufus said, "you're just like your mother." He understood that Alexia didn't exactly know how to respond to his apology because she couldn't really forgive him for missing out on so much of her life or not being there for her and her mother like he wished he could have been. But at the same time, he knew she was grateful for his apology and was glad he was finally with her.
"Does she know you're here? Is she coming too?" asked Alexia.
"She does. She wanted to come but I told her I would and that she should stay and give us some space and time to talk." Rufus said. "Unless you don't want to, or you want her here." he added.
Alexia shook her head, "No, it's fine."
"I'll only be staying tonight, it's too risky to stay here for too long. There are people on the look out everywhere these days." Rufus informed Alexia.
"I understand," she replied. "Should we have dinner? I hate to leave the Malfoy's waiting."
"Oh yes, indeed," Rufus said.

Alexia led the way to the sitting room. There, she formally greeted Lucius, and Draco greeted Rufus.
"Mr Malfoy, thank you for letting me stay. I really appreciate it." Alexia said.
"Not a problem, Alexia," Lucius replied. We love your company, especially Draco. You're welcome anytime, remember that."
Alexia smiled and snuck a look at Draco who happened to be looking back at her. The corners of his lips curled into a small, cheeky smile. Alexia loved that smile.
"Well, shall we go have dinner?" Lucius asked.
"Yes, yes," Narcissa said, "we shall!"

Lucius led the way out of the sitting room, Narcissa and Rufus following close behind.
Draco turned to Alexia and gave her a look as if he was asking if she was alright.
Alexia nodded back, "Come on," she said and made for the door.

•••

Once the Malfoy's, Alexia and Rufus had finished their dinner, Rufus asked Alexia if she wanted to go for a walk around the gardens outside. Alexia agreed but told him that she would meet him on the terrace as she needed to quickly fetch a coat as the sun was no longer up and it was quite cool.
She hurried upstairs to her room and found a black trench coat which she threw over her skirt and blouse. She knew she'd probably still be a little cold, but she was too tired to change into a new outfit.

As Alexia walked out onto the terrace, she saw her father's silhouette on the edge of the pavement. The night sky was an inky canopy of darkness above with only the moon spilling down on the elegant gardens.
"You know," Rufus began, somehow aware that Alexia was present, "while I've been in hiding, the only time I feel clarity is at night."
The faint wind blew a strand of Alexia's hair across her face. She brushed it away and hugged her coat tighter to her body.
"For some reason, it makes me feel closer to home and to you." Rufus said.
Alexia's wonders from her first night at the Malfoy Manor were answered. Rufus did look up at the night sky too. "Maybe because I love looking at the night sky too and most night's I do. In fact, I always wondered if maybe somewhere out there you were too. I guess you were." Alexia said.
Rufus turned, "Of course," he said.

Just a few hours ago it had been a sunny spring day, now it was a dark, quiet night. The occasional hoot of a hidden owl and the soft conversation between Rufus and Alexia was the only noise to pervade the silence.
"Shall we walk?" Alexia murmured.
"Oh, yes," Rufus replied.
They followed the pebble path from the terrace into the garden. The moonlight led them through garden beds of rose bushes, patches of perfectly mowed grass, and rows of fruit trees.
"How is school?" Rufus asked.
"It's alright," Alexia sighed. "Hogwarts isn't much these days. The mudbloods ruin everything and the teachers aren't much better either."
Rufus grinned, "You sound like your mother and I."
"Well, it's true! I know for sure that Draco agrees!"
"Oh, I believe you!" Rufus said. "How's Draco been, anyway?"
"Yeah, good. He's been there for me a lot lately and I really appreciate having someone like him around." Alexia said. "He's a great friend." As Alexia spoke the word friend, she felt almost as if her heart was sinking into her chest. For some reason, labelling Draco as her friend just didn't satisfy her anymore. She knew she had some feelings for him deep down inside and she knew they would only cause her trouble, so it was best for her to keep them at bay, but calling Draco a friend, no matter what word she put infront of it, it just didn't seem right.
Rufus sensed something was wrong; "Is everything okay?"
Alexia exhaled, "I've been asked that question way too many times this year..."
"I take you tell them that everything is fine, but really it isn't?"
"Yeah," she said. "I don't know what's happened to me, Father, but I just don't feel like I once used to."
"What did you once feel like?"
"Strong, powerful, independent, cunning."
"Alexia," said Rufus, "you are still exactly those things - you've just pushed them aside because you've been feeling upset about things, and your desire to be those qualities again is because of the pressure you feel, especially right now since our family is right in the spotlight." He stopped walking and an owl in a nearby tree screeched and took flight. "Alexia, you need a break from everything and this is your chance. I know you go back to Hogwarts very soon, but make the most of the last day or so that you have away from the crowded corridors and the professors who expect a lot from you. I want you to be happy."
Alexia looked at her father and nodded. Then she wrapped her arms kindly around him and gave him a hug. She was glad to have him back in her life.

Rufus and Alexia continued to stroll through the inky-dark gardens, chatting about what each of them had missed the past years. They followed the stream at the back of the property which glistened in the moonlight. The light wind brushed against the water's surface, the ripples ruffled the stillness of the surface, and broke the reflection of the silhouetted trees which lined the banks of the creak.

When they had done a full loop of the Malfoy's garden, they returned inside the warm manor and said their goodnights. Then, they departed to separate rooms to go to sleep at last, Rufus promising he would say a proper goodbye to Alexia before he left tomorrow.

•••