03 - all time low

Rachel

"Rach!"

I jolted awake at the sudden call of my name, and saw my friend Nicole hovering over the side of my bed. I looked at her in confusion until realization hit me.

"Oh my god what time is it?" I asked while frantically shoving my comforter off of my body and running to the first articles of clothing I can find on the floor, which happened to be a light blue pair of jeggings and a white and black baseball tee.

"6:55!" Nicole yelled. "You're lucky I came here early." She turned her body around as I practically ripped my pajamas off my body and changed into my outfit for the day.

I slipped on my dirty white converse and ran into the hallway and into the bathroom, where I quickly brushed my teeth. I groaned when I looked at my reflection. My blonde hair looked horrid. I rapidly brushed a few parts, and shoved a maroon beanie on my head to try and look decent.

"Let's go." I commanded out of breath, slinging my backpack over one shoulder.

"What the hell were you doing last night? Nicole scolded as we jogged down the stairs and out the door.

I looked down at my feet in embarrassment. "There was a Criminal Minds marathon on."

Nicole laughed lightly, "I'm not even surprised."

The rest of the walk to school was silent, and I couldn't help but think about how lucky I am to have Nicole. She was truly my only friend, so that automatically made her my best friend. She was considered a nobody like me, but before we were friends she used to be popular. I didn't know the exact story, the only thing I knew is that it involved two guys. When I asked her for the story I could tell that she didn't want to talk about it, so I never pushed her. Some people still pick on her to this day, but not nearly as much as they used to.

As we entered school, we said our goodbyes and parted ways.

---------------------------------------------

I sat down at the same table Calum and I sat at yesterday, and sighed. It's finally last period.

As I waited for class to begin, I picked at my chipped nail polish.

I looked to my left as I heard the bell ring, just to see a vacant stool. Frowning, I continued to pick and my nails as Mr. Roden informed the class about the second half of the dissecting assignment.

I snapped my head up as I heard the door fly open, to reveal Calum rushing into the classroom pantin. His clothes and hair were disheveled.

"Ah, Great you could join us Mr.Hood." Mr. Roden announced with a disapproving look on his face.

"Wouldn't miss your class for the world, Rodent." Calum sassed our teacher with a fake smile, making his way towards our table.

His words caused a few classmates, including me, to stifle our laughs, and for Mr. Roden to sit down at his desk and mutter something to himself.

As Calum sat down on his stool, he ripped my beanie off my head and put it on his.

"Hey." I whined, trying to grab it off his head. "I need that, I barely got to brush my hair this morning."

Calum looked at my hair and twisted his face in disgust. "I can tell."

I rolled my eyes and raked my fingers through my hair, "Whatever, Mr.Hood. Did you just wake up?"

"Yeah. I got a little carried away with a video game last night." He silently laughed.

"Why did you even bother coming in? It's last period." I questioned, slightly tilting my head to the side.

Calum just smiled at me and reached into his pocket, pulling out a pair of ear buds and his phone.

"Because you need to listen to the greatest band in existence." He beamed.

I watched him as he plugged his ear buds into his phone, unlocked it, and searched through his music library. He smiled, and I assumed he found just what he was looking for.

Calum moved his stool closer to mine, and put the right ear bud in his ear.

"Here, put this in." He demanded, holding out the left ear bud, which I gladly accepted.

"We're gonna start with my favorite song. It's called Oh, Calamity." Calum grinned, pressing the play button.

As the song started, I played with the cord of the ear buds.

"When I was younger

I was certain,

I would be fine without a queen,

Just a king inside his castle,

With an ocean in between."

I widened my eyes in surprise, this band is undeniably good. I unknowingly started to slightly nod my head to the beat of the song. I could hear Calum lightly laugh at my actions.

"Now all I do is sit,

Count the miles from you to me,

Oh, calamity"

I stopped playing with the cord and looked up at Calum, who was and lip singing along with his eyes closed.

"We get older by the hour,

Watch the changes from afar,

Keep forgetting to remember,

Where we've been is who we are

Now all I do is wonder,

Why we ever set the scene,

Oh, calamity

It's such a shame that we play strangers,

No act to change what we've become,

Damn, it's such a shame that we built a wreck out of me,

Oh, calamity,

Oh, calamity."

When the song came to an end, Calum opened his eyes.

"I know." he blurted.

"Know what?" I questioned, confused.

"What you're thinking. You love the song and want to drag me into the closet and blow me as thanks for introducing you to such an amazing band." Calum answered, smiling.

"Totally."

Calum's face lit up until I let out a sarcastic laugh.

"Keep your fantasies to yourself, Hood. Now play another damn song."

"Fúck you." He scoffed, picking up his phone and selecting The Reckless And The Brave.

---------------------------------------------

sorry this sucks

the next chapters will start to pick up I promise, I just don't wanna rush into things

what do you guys think of calum?

and wow thank you for 1k reads!!! you're all super cute