The 58th Expedition: Part 1

The bells were tolling in Karanese,signaling the beginning of the 58th expedition to reclaim Wall Maria. Everyone was looking at the brave,green cloaked soldiers as they made their way to the gate leading to the hell known as Titan territory.

It was about a month after the catastrophe in Stohess with Annie. Her betrayal left everyone shocked,hurt,and a few were incredibly angry. Jean shuffled a little on his horse and lifted his golden eyes to the sky with an exasperated sigh,thinking again about Annie. To be specific,there was one little detail that had been driving him insane since she'd crystallized herself,and no matter how hard he'd try, he could never get it to leave his head. His grip on Buchwald's reins tightened as the unpleasant memory came back into his mind. 

"Jean? Are you okay? You look a little bit mad," asked a voice on his right. He turned his head to meet Armin's concerned blue orbs. Jean sighed and brought his gaze back to the gate up ahead.

"I was just thinking about Annie," he replied,loosening his grip on the reins a little. Armin looked ahead as well.

"Yeah...who would've of thought that Annie could kill like that? I mean,she was never really that social,but I never thought of her as a killer."

Jean nodded in agreement." I wouldn't have. But that wasn't what I was thinking about."

Armin turned back to Jean in confusion." Then what were you thinking about?"

Jean looked down at Buchwald's mane and knotted his fingers in the reins again before answering the blonde genius beside him.

"You said Annie had Marco's gear......how did she get it? Marco was good at using his ODM,and he....should've been able to make it. And you said his gear was perfectly fine when she presented it. So why.....was Marco dead and his gear untouched? He wasn't even wearing the top part of his harness when I found him."

Armin blinked,then looked down back at the front with a saddened look on his face." Now that you mention it....that wouldn't make sense. You think Annie...?" Armin couldn't finish his sentence. Jean nodded grimly.

"I think she did. Its the only explanation I can think of for her "finding" it."

Armin sighed sadly,but before he could say anything else, he heard the gate begin to rise.He looked up just in time to see Commander Erwin lift one of his blades.

"The 58th Recon expedition begins NOW! SCOUTS,MOVE OUT!"

Jean kicked in his spurs and Buchwald broke into a gallop with Armin on his heels. Hearing loud snorting to his left, Jean turned and saw Reiner pulling up to him with a grin on his face.

"What luck is this!? We got the same flank again!" yelled the burly blonde.

Jean chuckled half heartedly. "Yeah.... Let's hope Armin doesn't get smashed up this time around. And you'd better not go anywhere near a Titan's fist, you beautiful bastard!You might be a badass,but you don't need to prove it! Just not pissing yourself is enough."

Reiner let out laugh." I'll worry about pissing myself, and you worry about your damned horse!"

Jean cracked a crooked smile.

" I will! See you on the other side!"he yelled as Reiner took off towards his position. He looked over at Armin and gave him a nod." Take care of yourself, Armin! No dying out here!" Armin flashed him a determined smile.

" I won't!" he yelled as he drifted away from Jean. 

Finally alone, Jean threw back his head and looked up to the sky for a moment. It seemed so peaceful...." I wonder how you're doing, Marco....I hope the afterlife is treating you like you deserve......as soon as that bitch is out of that crystal, I'll find out what really happened....wish me luck, Marco..." he said, bringing his eyes back to his surroundings. He could already see a couple of red flares in the sky in front of him. He grit his teeth, forcing himself to work through the familiar knot  forming in his stomach.

"Here we go again......"

...........................................................................................................

Word count: 665

Chapter Two....Jean suspects Annie of foul play....little does he know that she wasn't the only one involved in Marco's death....😦😧🤔

Tell me what you think! I'd appreciate it!

P.S. Buchwald was the name of Jean's horse, right? The only other name I remember was 'my little runaway!'..........