The Truth

Marco sat on one side of the table, fidgeting nervously with his hands under the table. He had just arrived, after a long and painful trip down the stairs. He had had to put most of his weight on Jean while he used the wall to support himself, mentally wondering what had happened to him that made his legs so weak.

Across the table sat three people; on the left was Levi, who was glaring at him while listening to Hanji, who was sitting on the right, whispering to the one and only Commander Erwin, who sat in the middle, right across from the freckled boy. Marco felt both awed and frightened to be sitting with such important figures.

Hanji finished whispering to Erwin, who nodded slowly before clearing his throat and turning his strong blue gaze to Marco, whose head throbbed a little. He'd seen those eyes somewhere....

"I do not think we have been introduced. My name is Erwin Smith, the Commander of the Survey Corps," he began.

Marco gave him a small smile and a salute." A pleasure, sir. My name is Marco Bodt, sir."

Erwin nodded again and folded his hands on top of the table." That is what the new recruits have said. Still, we cannot be sure just yet." Marco blinked.

"You mean you're not sure of my identity, sir?"

"That's right," said Hanji, pulling a file out from beneath the table, actually calm for once." You see here, Marco, we have a file here that tells us everything about you...think you can answer some questions for us?"

"Of course, sir!" Marco said quickly. 

"What if this brat knows all the answers already?" Levi said, glancing over at Erwin, who had taken the papers from Hanji.

"You'll see, Levi," replied the commander before looking up at Marco.

"Are you ready?"

"Yes sir," replied Marco, straightening up in his chair.

"Where is your hometown?" asked the Commander.

"Jinae, South Wall Rose, sir."

"What Cadet Corps did you enlist in?"

"The 104th, sir, just outside the Trost District."

"What was your final rank?" 

"I was ranked seventh, sir."

"Who were the other top ten cadets?"

"Mikasa Ackerman was the highest rank, followed by Reiner Braun. After Reiner was Bertholdt Hoover, Annie Leonhart, Eren Yeager, Jean Kirschtein, myself, Connie Springer, Sasha Braus, and lastly Krista Lenz."

Erwin nodded, satisfied, before asking more questions.

"What was your squad you lead in the Battle of Trost?"

"My squad was squad 19, compromised of Ian Deker, Ileen Kara, Sara Mooreson, and Carter Shelleck." 

"What was the plan for Trost's recovery from the Titans?"

"To have Eren plug the hole with the boulder the Colossal Titan created when it kicked the wall."

"Who found your corpse?"

Marco blinked and leaned forward." Come again, sir?"

Erwin looked up from the papers and repeated," Who found your corpse?"

Marco looked shaken." M-My corpse?"

"Yes, your corpse, brat. Your dead body," said Levi like he was talking to an idiot.