Waking Up To An Old Face In A New Place

"Please!....Someone help!.....-nnie, save me!...... Are you and your.....the same as this evil race? Prove me wrong right.........we have to hurry,it's about to get here!......Good job..... us warriors..... What's your rush......even had a chance to.......AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!"

Marco's brown eyes shot open in terror as he trembled and sweated, feeling a pounding headache dance in his temples. He slowly sat up and groaned, rubbing his temples with his fingers to soothe the ache. When the pain subsided a little , he let out a small yawn and ran a hand through his mussed up black hair.

"So, you're finally awake. Welcome back to the world of the living," said an all-too-familiar voice. Marco immediately dropped his hand and began to look around the room he was in to locate his friend.

Jean was leaning against the wall, arms folded across his chest. He wasn't in uniform, but Marco could tell that his friend was tired from the small bags he could see under his eyes. Jean was also wearing that grim face he wore whenever something monumentally big or bad happened. Still, the sight of his best friend was enough to make Marco temporarily forget the pain in his skull. He gave his friend a cheery smile.

"'Morning, Jean. Or at least I think it's morning." He lifted a hand to his neck in his classic Marco tic. "Mind telling me where I am, and what happened in Trost? I can't remember anything that happened. Eren plugged the hole right?..... Why are you looking at me like that?" Jean was looking at him with slack jawed disbelief. He shook his head as if to clear it.

"Marco....do you not remember anything  that's happened?! Anything at all!?" Jean whisper-shouted. Marco blinked in worry and confusion.

"N-No... I don't remember anything after helping you out of that tight spot. Did I hit my head or something back in Trost? How long have I been out, Jean?"

Jean sighed heavily and looked at the floor." Technically, you've been out for three days...," he said slowly. Marco sighed in relief, which made Jean frown sadly.

"But....Trost happened two months ago." Marco's stomach did a flip.

"Two MONTHS ago! And I've only been out for three days..... What happened?" he internally wailed. He looked at Jean, who probably looked as sorry as he felt.

"Jean.... What happened to me? You know something I don't, don't you?" Marco asked quietly, staring at his best friend. Jean sighed again and shifted his gaze to the ceiling, keeping his mouth shut. Marco started trembling again; if Jean wasn't going to tell him, that was bad. Jean told him everything.

"Jean....what happened? Please...tell me. You're scaring me. Did I do something-"

"I'm sorry, Marco, but I can't tell you anything. Not yet. I'm under strict orders not to tell you. Don't worry, we'll fill you in as soon as we can. It's just.... I don't know how you're going to take the news," Jean interrupted, looking back at his worried freckled friend. Marco was close to tears. But before he could ask Jean what he meant, there was a soft knock at the door.

"Come on in, Sasha. He's awake now," Jean called. A moment later there was an excited squeal and the door opened to reveal a very happy Sasha Braus with a tray of food in her hands.

"Hey, Marco! I'm so glad you're awake! Everyone's been so worried about you! I'll be right back with your food!" she gushed, shoving the tray into Jean's hands. Then she turned back around and headed out the door as fast as she could.

"GUYS! HE'S AWAKE! HURRY UP AND COME SEE HIM!" The boys could hear her yelling at the top of her lungs as she bolted to the kitchen. Jean sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose while Marco chuckled. It was Sasha, alright. No one else could yell louder than she could.