---Chapter 10

∞Kaitra∞

                The four days go by like any trek though spindle and plateau mountains would be expected to, with several near falls, cold nights, and a torrential rain.  Eglantine avoids speaking and associating with me in general, and I have little problem with that, for the idea of addressing my would-be murderer is not a pleasant one. 

                Descending into Rite, my mind is filled with thoughts of baths, beds, and clean clothes.  Everyone in this world seems to have falsely accused me of being outdoorsy and low-maintenance.  Do they bathe this irregularly on a regular basis? 

                Eglantine takes a lesser path off to a left and doesn’t even give a backward glance.  Hiltraud acts as though this was the plan all along, but I cannot remember such a conversation and wonder if I am comfortable with her sudden parting.  With us, at least, I could watch her, but who knows what she will attempt out of Hiltraud’s covenant.  And, now we have no guide, and by the look on Hiltraud’s face, he has not been here either.  Where do we go in this town? 

                I shrug off Hiltraud’s back and we both stretch and do what little primping we can before making our way side by side into the heart of Rite.  People whisper and point as we go by, and I am suddenly self-conscious in my army attire, muddy boots, and smelly pack.  I had hoped for a bit of a joyous welcome or even a friendly hello, but we are met only with suspicious glances and turned backs. 

                “Citizens of Yuragwyn, I am Hiltraud, an aide to Lord Cadfael, and I bring before you Lady Kaitra, his daughter, the Daughter of Yuragwyn,” Hiltraud announces. 

                His words catch people’s attention, and they come out from their half-closed doorways and line the streets as we pass by.  They fold in behind us, and soon we are leading a procession to a large building which appears to be the center of town, both geographically and socially.  I feel very small among these naturally taller elves and humans, and I stay very close to Hiltraud for fear of being separated and swept away into the general, eerily quiet, crowd. 

                Hiltraud takes my arm, and we march up the three steps and through the opening double doors.  The people file in after us, filling up the open space.  A small section in the front of the room is left for us, and we make our way there and stand before the assemblage. 

                “My fellow countrymen, I bring before you a plea from Cordina.  We are at war with Granziar, as I am sure you all know.  We ask for your help and service, for our enlisted numbers are too few to throw off our enemies.  We have a great hope, though.  Lady Kaitra, Lord Cadfael’s daughter, has returned to us from faraway lands and has been confirmed as the fulfillment to the prophesy of old, the Daughter of Yuragwyn.  Rally behind her.  She will lead us on to victory and prosperity.”

                I nod, but inside I am quaking.  I am to lead this army?  I have hardly managed to practice with my bow, much less perfected the art enough to survive a full-fledged battle and lead people to victory.  Can’t I be a mere figurehead, locked away safely in Cordina, or even in the castle? 

                “What need is there to continuously drive out these Granzians?  Can’t we simply live in peace and harmony?” An elvish man calls from the middle of the group. 

                “We are merely defending ourselves, good sir.  They invaded our country.”

                “Why not draw up a treaty and allow free commerce?  For what they want are our goods.  If we were willing to share them, we might not be attacked,” a woman answers.